Unable to map the USB Share as a Windows 10 network drive

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-09-13 22:54:41 - last edited 2021-09-13 23:02:08
Model: Archer AX6000  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.4 Build 20210719 rel.12163(5553)

It has been a common practice to map the USB connected storage drive on my router as a network drive on all my LAN devices.  This has never been an issue or considered a heavy lift until now.  I have spent hours, enabling Windows services and changing the firewall configuration hoping to stumble on some unique attribute that may be preventing me for doing something that I have been able to easily do for years.  The administrative dashboard has successfully scanned and displays both of the drives attached in a single storage enclosure, provides the connection options; but my preferred option "Network Neighborhood", which should be accessible via a mapped drive in Windows Explorer is not working.  I searched the forum and found that at least one other is reporting this issue with an Arhcer version WiFi router.

I am hoping that this can be resolved, because I am satified with all other attributes of the router, but this issue is critical for me, because I have always used mapped drives to backup all devices and stream content.

Options
7 Reply
Re:Unable to map the USB Share as a Windows 10 network drive
2021-09-13 23:37:46

@SunRaz 

I've done it on occasion, but programs I use use the Network.

There could be a PERMISSIONS problem though.

Using the Windows Credential Manager I have this one for my router:

User name is the name I signed into on my PC. Not 100% sure this is required, but my older router I had did protect the drive, it is not protected now on my Archer A20.

Next make sure NET VIEW can see the router:

So as you can see, I did a NET USE to Y: for my USB connected drive.

One question, does your enclosure show it as 2 drives or one?

I'll also assume your old router worked fine, but did it have the same IP Address?

I'll assume all devices are on the same workgroup?

Can you connect to the other devices or see them in Windows Explorer if they are able to be seen?

Options
2021-09-14 02:34:57
I can easily see all the devices on my network. As a work around, I have disconnected my enclosure from the router; now having it connected, via USB, to my desktop with permissions that allow all my devices to access the drives from my desktop. I just don't want to have my desktop running constantly to accommodate the automated backup. In addition, I inputted the credentials info Windows Credentials, using both the TP-Share and the IP address. I have the permission for the dirives set on full control for authenticated users and network users. In addition, I also attempted to map the drive with the the "Access Authentication" in the router's console disabled and that did not work for me either.
Options
2021-09-14 10:04:31

@SunRaz 

How about access the "Network Neighborhood" via the file explorer, can you access the files? Follow this guide to review all the settings on the AX6000:

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/2385/

Options
2021-09-14 12:27:31

@SunRaz 

I didn't mention in my post but I do see the USB share in Windows Explorer too.

If you Google for "view nas connected to a router in Windows Explorer" you'll find a lot of hits for this problem. Maybe one of those will help?

You didn't mention the NAS make and model though? It could be its OS getting in the way, but I'd not suspect that?

Options
2021-09-14 14:09:46 - last edited 2021-09-14 14:11:07

I have attempted to access the USB drive via mapping and Network Neighborhood and get the same results. I don't have the exact wording for that error message, but it mentions something about the domain. Nevertheless, I have suspended all attempts at resolving this for now, as I need to move on with some important work that I need to complete. For now, I have the USB drives connected to my desktop, allowing for mapping and access over the LAN by all devices. As I recall from previously reading router specs is that there are limitations on the amount of storage capacity that can be used, so perhaps I have exceeded the that capacity. My total USB storage capacity is 4 TB, so maybe that is where the issue rest.

Options
2021-09-14 14:52:58

SunRaz wrote

I have attempted to access the USB drive via mapping and Network Neighborhood and get the same results. I don't have the exact wording for that error message, but it mentions something about the domain.

@SunRaz 

I recall something like that?

I had a router that worked fine, and I did NOT use the DEFAULT W10 Domain name of "Workgroup". Had to change it back to make it work. Suspect your PC and the NAS have different domain names.

I'd assume NET VIEW would have shown the NAS though? The do a what I posted to view the contents? You wouldn't see it if it was on a Different DOMAIN.

I have a 4TB USB External drive connected to my router, I'd assume the SAME FILESYSTEM is used on all routers, so the size shouldn't be a problem. I assume the NAS is self-powered, not using the USB port for power. Some 'portable' USB drives use the USB port for power and those can have problems.

If you Google the exact error you got, it might help you out figuring why?

Options
2021-09-16 13:17:56

@IrvSp

I have not changed the workgroup name, so it is still at the default name.  If I had, it would had required me me change the workgroup name on all my devices inorder to map my laotptops and the desktop.  Since all my devices drives are successfully mapped in all the devices, I am sure that it is not a domain or workgroup naming issue.  As I have previously indicated, doing this for years, this has never been an issue previously.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1259

Replies: 7