Need help configuring Deco with coaxial if possible

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-09-18 01:37:19

Hi TP Link Team and Esteemed Community members, 

Have a large, long house with Fios gigabit. My modem is in one corner of the house in the basement and home office and primary bedroom on the second floor on the opposite side of the house. Fios provided an extender that I hooked up to coax which worked well enough but still experienced signal dropping in some corners of the home.

I stuck the TP-Link base station close to the ceiling in the basement. It’s only about 30 feet from the x90 repeater but wireless signal isn’t great as demonstrated by speed tests from the second x90 and in the Deco app where signal appears to be weak between the two.  

Is it possible to use TP-Link’s x90/x60 mesh system by hooking it up to coaxial via MOCA adapters? If so, how would I do this? 

I would love to take advantage of the house's preexisting coax network somehow since wireless is lackluster for me. 

Do I have any options with the gear I have on hand here to set up an independent mesh network and ditch the Fios extender (it’s free via a promo anyway) or should I return this stuff and possibly call Fios back (shudder) to see if I can get another extender?

Here’s the equipment I have on-hand right now:

• (2) TP Link Deco x90

• (3) TP Link Deco x60

• (2) TP Link AC1900 routers

• (5) MOCA 2.0 adapters

• (2) Fios new/white routers

Some of the gear is old from previous homes but I recently purchased the x90s and x60s specifically for this home along with four more MOCA adapters so I can have face-melting internet in every corner of the house/yard. I'd hate to have to return the stuff if I can't get it to work. 

Thank you for your time! 

Options
2 Reply
Re:Need help configuring Deco with coaxial if possible
2021-09-18 06:40:04

@supa 

Hi, could you mind drawing a rough picture of your floor map, such as where the ISP modem is located, which place has the most network devices?

And did you want to replace the Fios router and extenders with Deco, or still keep them in the network?

It would be more helpful for me and other users to provide any suggestions.

Thank you very much.

Options
Re:Need help configuring Deco with coaxial if possible
2021-09-18 15:17:39

@TP-Link 

I do not necesisarily need the Fios router/extender, although I do need the modem to accept the fiber optic-in. I don't subscribe to TV (which is the reason most people cite needing to workaround the Fios router). 

Is there any way, that I can leverage the in-home coaxial network to work with TP-Link via hardware or app settings? 

If I hook up my x90 to the main Fios router's ethernet output, would other x90/x60s in the house be able to operate via hardwire coax? 

I do get the point of mesh systems/repeaters acting as signal extenders. Simply put, if I can't get these TP-Link x90/x60 to work via coax, I will have to send them back because the x90 base unit signal from the basement loses too much signal strength beaming through the floor unfortunately. 

Thank you for offer to help via diagram of the house, however, I am comfortable setting up the devices for optimal networking based on barriers and signal strength. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 724

Replies: 2