Need help with my VPN connection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-09-23 00:38:13
Model: Archer AX6000  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: not sure

I created an ovpn file from my router and am using it outside of my home with a portable router (GLinet 2.4/5ghz), using my Windows laptop.

After importing the ovpn file into my router and starting the vpn, it appears to connect fine.

I can even use my phone to log into my home TPLink router and see the live VPN connection.

I can go to a command prompt and ping local devices on my network and they respond well.

My question is this.

I mainly want this VPN connection so I can watch my Spectrum TV outside of my home but loading Spectrum only gives me generic channels.

I understood the VPN feature would allow me to be able to mimic me being at home; thus when I load Spectrum TV web I can watch all my channels.

My travel router's IP shows a different local IP than my home network... do I need to change the IP subnet on my travel router to match mine at home?

Is there some other common setting I need to make on my travel router for this to work?  I've read that people do this, so I feel  like I should be able to as well.

Anyone have any ideas?

Options
5 Reply
Re:Need help with my VPN connection
2021-09-29 07:20:28

@marklyn 

So the network layout is like below?

phone)))(((GLinet 2.4/5ghz---Internet---ISP Spectrum modem---AX6000 (configured OpenVPN server)---Spectrum TV

I am honestly not sure if there is any limitation for this VPN access to watch TV from outside on the Spectrum network, have you had a chance to confirm with Spectrum if this is permitted?

Options
2021-09-29 17:19:47

@Kevin_Z 

Yes, my connection is setup just like you outlined.

No, I didn't talk to Spectrum because I don't think they would want this but I've seen this sucessfully talked about in other places, so I figure there must be a way.

Options
2021-09-30 02:05:45

@marklyn 

From my understanding, most ISPs won't also allow this while I cannot explain more why they do. We can wait and see if other community users have suggestions or advice on this.

Options
2021-09-30 02:08:03

@Kevin_Z 

It's not a problem with my ISP since I can vpn in and ping local devices with a local network admin. I would think it's something other than my ISP.

Options
2021-09-30 11:35:13 - last edited 2021-09-30 11:40:23

@marklyn 

Okay, I will try to help.... But...

I have Xfinity and have dropped the TV (cut the cord) service so I can not test. When I had the Xfinity TV service and I did not have a cable box on all the TVs, I could watch the premium channels such as ESPN by using apps for that channel using my Amazon stick or iPad and using my Xfinity user id and password. I do not know if it would work outside the US as I never tried. The VPN could make it look like you were in the US.

I am surprised the Spectrum app does not allow you to view your premium channels. You should check with them.

See https://www.spectrum.net/support/tv/using-your-services-when-youre-not-home-tb?redirected=true

What you appear to be trying to do is get to your home network and then back to the ISP's TV service. Your modem will split the signal for internet and TV. The modem does not pass the TV signal to the router.

Since, you can view the channels on your home PC, I assume you are connecting to the ISP's TV service via a web interface (through an app or a browser). I would think you would need to have that PC turned on, then be able to link to it, and control the PC remotely such as using remote desktop or like product to view your shows remotely.  

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 556

Replies: 5

Related Articles