Wireless Iot devices disconnecting randomly since Firmware update

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-09-23 14:44:42
Model: Archer C80  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.10.0 Build 210716 Rel.51301n(5553)

Since updating the firmware some of my Smart Switches are now randomly being disconnected from the wifi.

I have not made ant changes to the locations of any devices so am at a loss to understand the reason or how to resolve this issue.

Unfortunately it seems that going back to the previous firmware version is not possible.

Below is the history of one of the devices showing a rock solid connection until the firmware was installed, and an erratic connection since the update.

Green indicates switch is on

Red indicates switch is off

Grey indicates switch is unavailable (No wifi connection)

Any help with resolving this would be appreciated.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Wireless Iot devices disconnecting randomly since Firmware update
2021-09-24 06:39:23

@PeteBrokeIt 

What kind of software or application you are monitoring the connection between the Smart Switch and the C80 (The picture you attached)?

How about other client devices in the network, are they still connecting and working properly when connecting to the C80? You can try to modify the 2.4G wireless settings such as channel and channel width, security, then reboot both the C80 and the Smart Switches to confirm. BTW, what's the brand and model of the Smart Switches?

Options
2021-09-24 15:06:51

@Kevin_Z   The picture attached is from Home Assistant. i have no way of getting that info from the Tuya app, but they do show as offline in the app at the same time as being shown unavailable in Home Assistant.

The devices that are affected are gosund branded Tuya devices.  It seems like it may be a range issue as devices closer to the router are not affected. maybe the power output was reduced in the latest firmware, but i don't see why TPlink would do that.

I have a couple of other devices (Atomi Smart string lights) on my gazebo which worked fine before the update although they were pretty much at the limit as far as distance from the router goes. Those too now  show as offline. I tried to re-add them to the wifi through the app, but they did not find the network/wifi signal

I think I might have to get a mesh range extender and see what happens.

Another case of "If it ain't broke don't fix it"...

Options
2021-09-26 06:45:10

@PeteBrokeIt 

I see. Have you tried my previous suggestions to change the wireless settings on the C80, such as channel and channel width, you can run a Wi-Fi analyzer to review the wireless networks, choose one that is with less congestion, then monitor the connectivity on the smart devices.

BTW, we have reported the issue to the support engineers, they will likely reach out to you via email to continue to troubleshoot your issue.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 963

Replies: 3