Unable to connect two routers for VPN passthrough with primary router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-10-19 01:17:21
Model: Archer C7  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have a TPlink C7 1750 primary router (192.168.0.1) where I have enabled all passthrough checkboxes. I purchased another TPlink router to use as VPN only router with IPaddress 192.168.0.100 and disabled DHCP on this. Then I connected primary router and VPN router but an ethernet from LAN of primary to WAN/LAN of VPN router. Upon going to WAN in the primary router and changing it to PPTP and entering the PPTP IPaddress and username/password of VPN provided, it does not connect to the VPN server of the provider. I am unsure if it is configuration issue of primary router, where I checked that PPTP passthrough is enabled, or VPN router I am setting up.

please help in configuring the routers correctly.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Unable to connect two routers for VPN passthrough with primary router
2021-10-22 08:25:38

@marc100 

Are you referring to the L2TP/PPTP connection on the router WAN? That is one of the WAN connection types provided by the Internet Server Providers mostly in Russian, it is not commonly used for connecting to a normal VPN server, which could be encrypted.

If you are talking about the newly adopted VPN Client feature to connect to some commonly known VPN servers, such as ExpressVPN or NordVPN, you can check the models like Archer AX20, AX21, and AX90. We don't know if Archer C7 will add the support for VPN Client, you can keep an eye on your router web GUI/Tether app or the official website for any firmware updates.

To know more about the VPN Client feature and how to use it, visit this: https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/3135/.

Options
Re:Unable to connect two routers for VPN passthrough with primary router
2021-10-22 10:09:21

@Kevin_Z thanks. 

I have the ER605, which has the vpn client. what goes into the 'remote subnet' field? has it to do with the VPN ISP? yes, I am configuring for express VPN.

also, can my Archer c7 passthrough ER605 PPTP VPN connection using the below screen?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 761

Replies: 2