Slow wireless speed on Deco when ethernet device is active

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-11-16 17:18:06
Model: Deco S4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

So I have a few Deco units in my current setup.

One of them is a Deco S4. When I connect my PS5 via ethernet to this S4 and begin downloading something, then the internet speed for all other devices connected to that S4 plummet and slow down drastically.  It jumps between 6mbps, when usually it's 100mbps. The signal source for this S4 is not the router Deco unit, but another one in the network. 

Is this normal? I would have to check, but it might be slowing down internet speeds on other deco units too. I don't think this happens when I connect the PS5 to my router Deco Unit via ethernet, so why would it happen here? 

Thanks

Options
7 Reply
Re:Slow wireless speed on Deco when ethernet device is active
2021-11-18 05:28:23

I'd also like to add, since the recent Deco S4 update, my network is acting strange. 

My S4 has a weak signal source from the main router, and in the bedroom, with a Deco S4 placed right outside the door, devices connect to my M5 downstairs instead. I don't think it did this before. 

Options
2021-11-18 08:55:13

@ConcernedUser 

Hi, Thank you very much for your kind reply.

Would you please send me a private message about the MAC address of the main Deco and the MAC address of the problematic Deco S4?

If possible, could you mind sharing with me a picture of your network topology?

As for the PS5 issue, are you able to reproduce the same issue most of the time?

At the same time, I see that you have at least 2*S4, and would you please switch the location of these two units and check whether PS5 had the same issue with a different unit?

Thank you again for your time and patience.

Options
2022-01-03 21:15:20

@TP-Link Hello there, my apologies for the late response. I have been testing this further and have some more information. Are you still available to help with this issue? Thanks

I would like to confirm that I did swap the two Deco S4's and can confirm I have the same problem. I have noticed that it seems to affect both devices. For instance, if I set something to download on my laptop, while it is wirelessly connected to the S4 that is located in the bedroom, then network speeds on my PS5 will tumble. And vice versa. If the PS5 is downloading, then the laptop internet speeds will tumble. 

It seems as though it can only handle one device downloading something, which seems a bit bizarre for a mesh system that is designed to hold up to 100 devices

I can provide more information if needed. My other Decos do not behave like this as far as I can tell. This Deco is also the only one that isn't connected to the main router Deco, but uses a different signal source. 

Options
2022-01-05 06:53:11

@ConcernedUser 

Hi, thank you very much for getting back to me.

So currently, No matter which Deco is in the bedroom when one device started downloading something, all other devices connected to the bedroom Deco plummet and slow down drastically?

If yes, could you please send an email to support.forum@tp-link.com with the following information:

1. A picture of your network topology/floor map about the location and distance of each Deco unit.

2. When the speed dropped, do you need to reboot the bedroom Deco to get the speed back?

3. The TP-Link email ID for Deco APP.

Options
2022-01-06 21:13:24

@TP-Link Yes, that's correct. If one device starts downloading something, the speeds on other devices connected to that Deco go down massively. 

Do you have an example of the network topology so that I can ensure I send you the right thing?

When the speed drops, I don't need to reboot to get them back, I just have to pause the download. It seems to work fine when nothing is downloading.

Also if it's not too much trouble, can I just ask why you would need the email address associated with the account?

Thanks

Options
2022-01-11 01:58:38

@ConcernedUser 

Hi, I have sent you an email #TKID220106806 and attached some pictures about the network topology and the reason why we need the TP-link ID and did you get my email?

Thank you very much.

Options
2022-01-11 22:18:22

@TP-Link Hey there, thanks for reaching out. Apologies for the delay, I have received your email and responded smiley

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1069

Replies: 7

Related Articles