X90 with only one 2.5Gbps LAN port?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-11-19 18:38:52
Model: Deco X90  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

I'm a bit confused as to why the X90 only has one 2.5Gbps port instead of two.  If you're using this as the primary unit, how are you then supposed to allow 2.5Gbps traffic to other hard-wired devices since the only other LAN port is 1Gbps?  The X90 then becomes a bottleneck for anyone using gigabit or faster internet service.

It seems to me to be huge swing-and-a-miss.  It's as though it was expected to not be used as the primary device in a 2.5Gbps network, which defeats a lot of the functionality of these Deco units.

Am I missing something?

Options
2 Reply
Re:X90 with only one 2.5Gbps LAN port?
2021-11-22 08:14:41

@11thPlague 

Hi, you are right and there is only one 2.5g/s Ethernet port on each Deco X90.

I think it is mainly reserved for over 1G internet bandwidth from service providers since currently, most of the Ethernet clients are up to 1G/s.

Do you have a specific occasion for 2*2.5G ports?

Thank you very much.

Options
Re:X90 with only one 2.5Gbps LAN port?
2021-11-22 12:14:44

@TP-Link   Yes - not everything depends on wi-fi.  I only use wi-fi when I can't run CAT6a to something.  The application is those of us who have gigabit+ service with wired devices and a capable switch.  A lot of the time with gigabit service, we get about 20% more speed than advertised which would be about 1.2Gbps.  There is no way to use this as a primary router and retain the extra bandwidth.  Because TP-Link has no other options, it is forcing use of either a different router or to give up the extra speed.  With how things are progressing, it won't be long before speeds above gigabit are more commonly offered to residential applications.  

Granted, that isn't the case for about 98% of the customer base at this point in time.  But it is only a matter of time before it becomes more common.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 889

Replies: 2