Deco M5 speedtest vs ookla speedtest, doesn't match

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-12-01 13:54:39

Hello,

Yesterday I bought a deco m5 3pack set. I have connected main deco to my modem. 1 on the first floor(in AP mode) en 1 in the living room(with wifi).

I did the internetspeedtest in de tp deco app on my android Samsung S20+ phone and everywhere I will test the speed it stays about 470 mbps download en 680 Mbps upload.

What is strange is even if I have no wifi connection in my screen, the deco app internetspeedtest will give almost the same speeds....That is really strange...(zie image here under). Notice the absence of the wifi icon in the right upper corner and still the projects 478,1 down and 687,0 upload. Why is this?

If I use Ookla speedtest I have other speeds. 72Mbps download and 97,1 Mbps upload. THis is in the same room where I did the deco m5 speedtest in tp deco app. Why are the speeds so different? On the same device, same room, same spot? Can someone help me?

Thanks for the reaction.

File:
Screenshot_20211201-144035_Deco.jpgDownload
Options
3 Reply
Re:Deco M5 speedtest vs ookla speedtest, doesn't match
2021-12-02 02:13:20

@LEoTHeDude 

Hi, the Test speed feature under Deco APP>More is testing the speed from the main Deco to the modem, not the current speed on your smartphone to Deco.

So it does not matter whether you are connected to Deco or not.

I see that your firmware is 1.5.7 and did you update the firmware just after setup?

As for the network topology, I noticed that you say that satellite 1 is in AP mode, and did you mean it is connected to the main Deco via Ethernet cable?

When you run the speed via Ookla speedtest, is your smartphone also connected to this AP mode Deco? Or to the main Deco?

Options
2021-12-02 08:43:36

@TP-Link  hi thanks for your reaction. Ah that is why. 

Yes my deco m5 is up-to-date so it says. 

I got my deco m5 on the 1e floor in AP with a cable to a switch(netgear gs108e) that switch is connected to my modem downstairs with a utp cat 6 cable. 

Still my wifi speed with ookla speedtest on the 1e floor with my mobilephone connected to my deco m5 on the 1e floor ap modus. I have checked it. Speed is 70 down and 90mbps up. Even next to the deco.

Options
2021-12-03 06:00:04 - last edited 2021-12-03 06:00:34

@LEoTHeDude 

Hi, thank you for getting back to me.

Is your  network map like:

/------<Wired>-----M5-1~~~~<WiFi>-----M5-2(living room)
ISP modem---Main Deco M5----SG108E

Could you please help me test for more details:

1. could you please find a wired laptop and connect to the 2nd AP satellite Deco and test the Ethernet link speed as well as download speed:

How to check the associated/link speed on a wired client

--since your issue might be because that the Ethernet link speed on the satellite Deco is only up to 100m/s, not the gigabit.

2. then you could also plug the laptop into the other port of SG108E to confirm the switch could deliver about 500 m/s from the main Deco.

Options