Deco X60 Network Problems

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-12-06 02:55:20
Model: Deco X60  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: Latest

I recently added a 3 AP Deco X60 to my network.  The previous solution I had was becoming overloaded due to the number of wireless devices I had.  I went with a 3 AP unit as I need coverage across three floor and had some issues with dead spots in the past.

I connected the APs using a wired GB connection.  I spread the devices out throughout the house hoping they would not be too close.  After about a week I started having network issues.  My initial thought was something was wrong with my central switch because wired devices were seeing extremely high pings (600-700 ms too the router) and dropped packets.  Sites would need to be refreshed multiple times before they would load.

I replaced all my central hardware and thiings persisted.  I tried replacing cables, before I stepped back and thought of the last change I made on the network -- adding the new Deco device.  Immediately after I removed the three APs everything returned to normal. Pings are back to sub 1ms and no issues with accessing sites. My only thought is that the APs were causing some sort of network storm that was saturating the network.

Has anyone seen any behavior like this before?  Do you have any suggestions on what I might be able to mitigate this issue?  I currently have everything disconnected so I was unable to pull the firmware version, but I know when I set it up last week it pulled several updates and I am certain that it showed no additional pending.

I also could not find the version of the hardware on the device or box.  I can confirm that if someone can point me in a direction to look....

Thank you for any assistance.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Deco X60 Network Problems
2021-12-07 10:55:38

@BradEK 

Hi, Thank you very much for the feedback.

Could you please help me get more details as well so that I could forward your case to the senior engineers later:

1. Could you please provide a rough picture about your network topology from the ISP modem, to Deco , then central switch?

2.Are you able to get the constant ping spike on the wired devices when Deco is connected, or the ping was sometimes good, while others had a huge delay?

3. And Deco X60 is working under access point mode, not wireless router, right?

4.May I know how is your internet service provider and how about the model number of your provider’s router?

5.Finally, it would be highly appreciated that you could send me some screenshots about the ping spikes on the wired clients.

Thank you again.

Options
2021-12-07 14:28:57

@TP-Link 

1. Could you please provide a rough picture about your network topology from the ISP modem, to Deco , then central switch?

I have a central switch in my basement.  I have wired runs to the basement, first and second floors that I used to connect the APs.  .

2.Are you able to get the constant ping spike on the wired devices when Deco is connected, or the ping was sometimes good, while others had a huge delay?

I had everything connected for about 2 weeks.  I moved one of the APs on the second floor to a different part of the house to try and get better coverage, but otherwise nothing else had changed over that two weeks.  Over those two weeks I slowly started noticing performance problems on the WIRED devices.  If I bypassed the switch that the APs were connected to and went directly to the ISP pings were normal, but anything connected to the central switch would have high pings and consistent packet drops.

3. And Deco X60 is working under access point mode, not wireless router, right?

Yes, the Deco is in AP mode.

4.May I know how is your internet service provider and how about the model number of your provider’s router?

My provider is Verizon and I am using the Fios Home Router G3100, which I believe to be a fairly recent model.

5.Finally, it would be highly appreciated that you could send me some screenshots about the ping spikes on the wired clients.

Unfortunately I did not capture any screenshots and I am a little apprehensive to reconnect the APs at this point.  The other thing, this did not happen immediately which confused me at first.  I initially thought I had a switch failure or a cable issues.  After replacing the switch and all cables I finally thought to remove the Deco and things snapped immediately back to normal. 

Since it took about 2 weeks before it reached a point where it was very noticable on my devices I am not sure I can capture this information quickly.

Thank you,

-Brad

Options
2021-12-08 03:29:46

@BradEK 

Hi, thank you very much for getting back to me.

I would like to forward your case to the senior engineers for further assistance.

At the same time, could you please refer to the last part of this link and help me get some detailed information about one of your wired computers which you have suffered a ping spike issue.

Troubleshooting: Slow Internet Speed with Deco Devices

You may obtain the information of your PC’s network adapter from here: (For Windows PC only)

1. Press WIN+R on the keyboard, type in “cmd” and enter, you will see a small black window.
  2. In the small black window, type in “ipconfig /all” and press enter, the information of your network adapters will be printed.
  3. Please copy the whole content of this window while contacting us, this information would be more helpful when troubleshooting this issue.

And please also try to turn off the fast roaming and beamforming on the Deco APP>More>Advanced to see whether it improved a little or not.

Options