When I set up Deco S4 mesh system with my modem/router gateway do need to disable wif on the can?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

When I set up Deco S4 mesh system with my modem/router gateway do need to disable wif on the can?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-12-12 19:45:46

My  internet service is provided by T-Mobile gateway (Living in the rural area). I have decided to switch from my TP-Link range extender to Deco S4 mesh system (3 nodes). I read a lot of  Q&As and setup instructions at different web sites.

I realize I have two choices. Either new network (after disabling wifi on gateway) or Access point. I can't decide what is better! Currently, 19 devices are connected to gateway and TP-Link range extender. If I disable wifi on the gateway, I need to reset every device to new Deco network. If I choose Access point method I figure it will be less likely to run into issues. 

Here's the likely setup: Gateway on the second floor. I will connect one of the three Deco units to gateway with ethernet cable. The other units will be on first floor and in the basement. I will connect my laptop to basement deco unit with ethernet cable. My Roku and Amazon fire stick attached to tv in the basement will connect to Deco wirelessly. 

So, what do you suggest? Deco next to T-Mobile gateway working as a new router or all 3 Deco nodes using Access point?

Options
5 Reply
Re:When I set up Deco S4 mesh system with my modem/router gateway do need to disable wif on the can?
2021-12-14 03:40:30

@skoy64 

Hi, welcome to the community.

I would vote for access point and It will keep your network simple and not have the double NAT issue.

Options
Re:When I set up Deco S4 mesh system with my modem/router gateway do need to disable wif on the can?
2021-12-14 20:08:24

@TP-Link Thanks for the reponse. I set up my 3 pack Deco S4. 3 story house, and all 3 units are working fine. I was especially impressed with Internet speed in the basement. Currently, I am using the system as a router. Now, I have 2 networks, T-Mobile and Deco. So far, everything seems to be working fine. I can easily change the operating mode from router to AP with Deco phone app. I don't know if AP mode gives me the same speed compared to router mode. Some suggest that I disable T-Mobile gateway's wifi. Any ideas?

Options
2021-12-15 03:21:58 - last edited 2021-12-15 03:22:21

@skoy64 

Hi, normally the Access point could provide the same speed as a wireless router.
It is ok to disable the Wi-Fi of the T-Mobile gateway and as you have mentioned before, you might need to reconfigure the old devices back to Deco's Wi-Fi.
But if these devices are stationary 2.4ghz only smart home devices, you could also consider leaving both Deco's Wi-Fi and T-Mobile's Wi-Fi enabled.

Options
2021-12-15 14:20:06

@TP-Link 

Thank you. I changed the mode from router to AP. It is interesting though. Deco's network still exists. My laptop shows both. As you mentioned, the speed didn't change much as far as I know.

What happens when or if I change my old smartphone? After I reinstall the deco app, does TP-Link send my mesh configuration information to my app?

Options
2021-12-16 01:35:44

@skoy64 

Hi, the Mesh configuration syncs with the TP-Link ID.
so when you changed a new phone, as long as you log into the APP via the same email, it will pull out the same configuration from the cloud server to your new phone.

Options