Connecting switch to Deco X90

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-12-13 16:23:48
Model: Deco X90  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have 2 Deco X90s, one on each side of my house which seems to work ok.  I do have intermittent spooling issues, but that is probably Spectrum.  Even though I pay extra for their 500M connection, their signal coming into the house is terrible and nobody seems to care to fix it.  Anyway, one Deco X90 connects directly to the Spectrum modem and the Ethernet port of that one connects to a hardware switch.  My question is, should the Ethernet port on the second Deco X90 be connected to a switch as well?  In know the signal there has to be weak as I always had difficulty connecting to WiFi over there, thus the reason for the mesh system.

I actually have 4 switches in the house.

1. Downstairs where many of the individual rooms are wired to.
  2. In the living room and family room where all the entertainment equipment plugs into for internet access.
  3. And one in my office where more computers, printers and scanners plug into.

Guess my question comes down to, how do the Deco X90s communicate with each other and would they work better if both were connected to the switches?

Options
2 Reply
Re:Connecting switch to Deco X90
2021-12-14 02:47:17

@cPotato 

Hi, do you mean the connection like this:

If you are able to wire the Deco together, it is always a good idea since the Ethernet connection is stable and faster compared with the wireless connection.

Spectrum modem-----main Deco X90-------switch-----2nd Deco X90------switch---other wired devices

Please pay more attention to the switch you have chosen and the following links would provide more details for you:

General questions about Ethernet Backhaul feature on your Deco

Options
Re:Connecting switch to Deco X90
2021-12-14 04:00:25

@TP-Link 

It would end up being equivalent to the second example there.  I will definitely then connect the second X90 to the switch as well.  All 4 switches are TP Link with a 16 port in the basement and 8 port by the TVs and computer room.

Options