Subnet mask for static DHCP

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-12-19 20:23:42

Greetings,

I just recently got an Archer A20 and for the most part it's pretty impressive. I changed the default subnet from 255.255.255.0 to 255.255.0.0. What I am finding is that when devices connect with dynamic DHCP everything works just fine. However devices that connect with a static DHCP assigned still end up with the default subnet of 255.255.255.0 instead of 255.255.0.0 like everything else. Of course at this point communicating with the device is no longer possible. In order to recover after this I must disable the static DHCP and reboot the device.

Aside from a lengthy explanation as to why I want to change the subnet mask, does anyone have a solution?

Thanks,

~Jerry

Options
5 Reply
Re:Subnet mask for static DHCP
2021-12-21 17:15:56

@VousDeux 

My apologies...I failed to clarify before that the information above applies to the LAN settongs.

<rant>

I just got off of the phone with a support person that was all BUT helpful. At first he tried to insist that I needed to contact my ISP. Then when I started to get spitting mad he tried to tell me that even though the static IP reservation in question was on the same subnet as everything else that because it was not also in the dynamic IP pool it could not be used. I tried repeatedly to explain in terms that he could understand, I asked for a supervisor, I asked for someone who speaks Spanish, I begged to speak with someone else, but he would not...he just kept arguing.

I explained that I was a network engineer for 11 years and that I have had my home network configured exactly this same way throughout the history of several generations of routers over many years. It has always worked perfectly until I got THIS router. All I wanted was for the guy to submit a bug report!

I'm trying to decide now if I should just use OpenWRT, or just return the device and close the book on TP Link forever.

<\rant>

Options
2021-12-21 19:17:01

@VousDeux 

So, right about the time I posted the above reply the TP Link agent called me back to apologize and we proceeded to open an advanced support ticket. After the call ended I began gathering screenshots to add to the ticket when out of the blue it just started working. I know how this sounds, but I assure you I'm not just trying to avoid the embarrassment of having to admit my mistake. It was not cooperating...lol.

Yeah, so while I was in the process of giving my tablet a static address so I could connect to the misconfigured device and grab a screeshot showing the correct, statically assigned DHCP IP address with the incorrect subnet mask, I looked up to see that the troublesome yellow light had returned to its blue state.

At this point I cannot say for sure why I was having such a difficult time getting the device to cooperate, but I'm starting to think it might have been the access point device in question that was being so stubborn; in which case I do owe TP Link an apology for thinking it was their router that was at fault. In any case all is finally well on my end.

Thank you for your time

~Jerry

Options
2021-12-22 03:19:00

@VousDeux 

Thank you very much for sharing your case in the community forum. 

Just out of curiosity, can I have the detailed network layout? Is the A20 acting as the main gateway and DHCP server, and is there an access point mesh system that connects to its LAN? I fully understand you have your own concern why you need to have these settings on the A20, but we could understand the situation better if you can explain more.

Options
2021-12-22 13:55:34 - last edited 2021-12-22 14:12:48

@Kevin_Z 

Yes. I have the A20 setup as the main gateway and DHCP server.  The 2.4 GHz WiFi is disabled on this device. Then I have a network switch connected to one of its LAN ports; which serves streaming devices and game consoles. Next I have another switch for things like VOIP, NAS, home automation and security devices. To this second switch is also where I have a mesh router with satellites running in AP mode. The second router serves 2.4 GHz only devices. Doing it this way allows me to distribute the network load across multiple CPUs and expands the range of the 2.4 GHz network to better serve some far-reaching home automation and security devices.

Edit: I guess I should also add that the ISP provided gateway is running in bridge mode. I have also toyed with the idea of setting up a VLAN for the home devices to add another layer of security, but for now the above is what I am doing.

Options
2021-12-23 07:21:21

@VousDeux 

This case will be forwarded to the support engineers, they will investigate to see if it is a concern in the router that can be resolved.

Options