Should I connect my deco mesh system by hard-wired ethernet?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-12-23 22:33:22
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello All -

Just purchased a Deco M4 AC1200 Mesh Wi-fi system.  I have ethernet connections where the two mesh devices are located because I have directed connected devices in each location.  Would it be better to connect the remote device to the ethernet switch, or just stick with the wireless connection that the installation walked me through?  

Thanks!

PS  On a side note - if I were to install the 3rd device somewhere else in the house, could I then use the ethernet ports on the device to act like a bridge to install hardwired devices in that location?

Options
7 Reply
Re:Should I connect my deco mesh system by hard-wired ethernet?
2021-12-24 02:49:07

@damdummy 

Hi, welcome to the community.

Ethernet connection is always recommended to maintain a good speed on the satellite Deco.

But there is something you need to pay more attention to:

Under the default wireless router mode, only one Deco is allowed to connect to the main modem.

So both Ethernet connections came from your main ISP router, you might need to change Deco into Access Point mode.

531cefb216844867a977b69ffc6d2dd1

For more details, the following link would provide more help:General questions about Ethernet Backhaul feature on your Deco

And The following connection works:

7306ba3dfe2f423fb5a1bb0b8ac620ce

Options
2022-01-05 15:32:50

@TP-Link 

Thank you for your reply - just one last question - is there any downside to running the satellite deco in access point mode?  

Options
2022-01-06 01:52:08
Options
2022-01-13 17:26:28

@damdummy 

Thanks for all of your help - I think I connected this wrong, because it still shows my secondary deco connected via wifi.  

I have Verizon FIOS, and when the wire enters my house, it goes to what looks like a modem - but it is not the wifi router.  The way they installed it makes it very awkward to get additional info on it since it's hard to reach but it looks like this:

Verizon Box(Coax-in:Ethernet Out)------------Verizon WIFI (w/5 ethernet ports)---------Deco----------Deco----------Switch

My question is this:  Is the initial verizon box the modem, which they connects to the router?  If so, do I need to configure like this?:

Verizon Box---------------deco-----------------VerizonWIFI/switch----------------Deco-----------------------Additional Switches

And if I configure like this, can I still use the deco in router mode, or do I have to set it up as an access point?  I'm thinking this configuration would most resemble this:

b74cb73798894df3985ecaf10a69537b

Options
2022-01-14 07:49:09

@damdummy 

Hi, I see there is a Verizon Wi-Fi/switch,  may I know its model number?

It looks like a Verizon Fios RAXG3100(https://fccid.io/RAXG3100/User-Manual/User-Manual-4330452.pdf), which is largely used by Verizon users from my experience.

And it could be used as a wireless cable modem router or just a wireless router.

The following layouts:

Network layout one:

Verizon Box(Coax-in:Ethernet Out)------------Verizon WIFI (w/5 Ethernet ports)---------Deco----------Deco----------Switch 

Network layout two:

Verizon Box---------------deco-----------------VerizonWIFI/switch----------------Deco-----------------------Additional Switches

The first layout is already a good set up and Deco will work on both wireless router and access point mode. But access point would be better.

While for the second one, since I think the Verizon Wi-Fi switch here is actually another router, so the second layout would not work.

TP-Link

Options
2022-01-14 17:51:19

@TP-Link 

Thank  you for the info - the model of my Verizon router is: Fios-G1100, and it's black, not white, so not exactly as documented above.

My biggest issue is that I'm still showing that my two deco units are connected by WiFi, not by Ethernet.  Will changing my deco to an access point provide that functionality?

Thanks,

Mike

Options
2022-01-17 09:11:54

@damdummy 

Hi, your current layout is the following one, right?

Verizon Box(Coax-in/Ethernet Out)----- Verizon FiOS G1100---Deco M4----<cable>------Deco M4----------Switch

The second Deco M4 is directly wired to the main Deco, no any switches in between?

If it is, the access point mode might have the same issue as router mode.

Have you tried to change a different cable in between or connect the cable to the other port of the second Deco M4?

By the way, on the Deco APP>More>Advanced>IPTV/VLAN, the IPTV VLAN Is disabled, right

Thank you.

Options

Information

Helpful: 5

Views: 8896

Replies: 7

Related Articles