IP reservations not working

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-12-26 18:19:28
Model: Archer AX73  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.3 Build 20210717 rel.64680(4555)

Hello,

I have an issue with reservations, i bought this router specifically cuz of wifi 6 and all that fancy stuff, hoping it'd leave me trouble free, now it's nothing but annoyance :(

please help!

I have so far set up my smart home, which requires same ip adress for every bulb, plug, or socket. Having done my massive table of IP reservations it worked for about a month now. Now there was a glitch today from my ISP and my internet didn't work, so I tried to reset my router... 

Now all my reservations are no longer used

e5f01f304df145c9a46d9342304aaa6a

is this because of them being in the same pool as the router uses e.g. 192.168.1.100 - 249, or is that a bug?

I really don't feel like changing all of them to under the pool only to realize it won't work again...please help!

Thanks in advance.

Options
6 Reply
Re:IP reservations not working
2021-12-27 10:44:40

@1nfinity 

Hello, as per the two screenshots, there is a RE300 range extender connecting to the AX73, so I guess the wiz_c05b73 gets an IP of 192.168.1.110 when it connects to the AX73 network, but it will get another IP address automatically when it is connected to the RE300 as the MAC address has been changed when connecting to the network through the extender.

If you do need to do Address Reservations for those devices that sometimes connect to the router and sometimes they may connect to the RE300, you will need to reserve two IP addresses for the two MAC addressed on the AX73. 

Options
2021-12-27 18:32:51
Hi Kevin, thanks for your reply. First of all, I have to apologize... I posted wrong screenshots. The bulbs really don't get a different mac adress, but the problem was indeed in the RE300. Whenever router restarted, they would assign an IP adress to all the smart things. Now, when I disabled the "auto" dhcp option on repeaters it seems to work well. Thanks for your assistance!
Options
2021-12-28 10:17:04

@1nfinity 

Thank you for updating and sharing the solution you've found. That's great to know the issue is resolved now. The RE300 uses a mechanism we called Smart DHCP by default, which will detect the main DHCP server in the network, it will switch its DHCP server on if it detects the DHCP server in the network is down, that's why it is on when the AX73 router restarts. You can turn it off as you mentioned.

Options
2021-12-29 17:28:19

@1nfinity 

In case you're not already aware, you should know that the AX73/AX5400 is limited to a maximum of 64 DHCP IP reservations.  Although you're currently under that limit, it seems your smart home network relies on wifi devices, which in turn rely on fixed IP addresses.  If your needs grow in the future, you may encounter issues with the 64 reservation limit.

As such, you may want to consider migrating to a separate DHCP server outside of your AX73 router.  In other words, disable DHCP on the AX73 and stand up a separate DHCP service on your network.  The initial migration will be painful as you'll need to manually replicate every single reservation.  But it may save you from future grief (unless TP-link increases the limit or removes the limit altogether in a future firmware revision) .

If you do follow this route, then I should also warn you about another limitation regarding DNS.  Ignore the below if you are using your internet provider's DNS or any other public DNS.

If you have your own DNS however, you will need to also be aware that the AX73 does not play nice with external DHCP servers if the same IP hosting the DHCP server is also running DNS and you configure the AX73 to use that IP address for DNS.  Under such circumstances, the AX73 will misinterpet the other IP address as a duplicate gateway on the intended subnet and then reconfigure itself to a different IP subnet.  For example, if you attempt to set up the AX73 on 192.168.1.1 and a Pihole server with DHCP and DNS on 192.168.1.2, then you must not attempt to configure the AX73 to use DNS on 192.168.1.2.  It will work fine if you set up the AX73 to use any other DNS (obtain automatically from your ISP or manually configure to google DNS, cloudfare DNS, etc).  But the moment you attempt to configure the AX73 to use your own DNS on 192.168.1.2, it will treat that IP as a conflicting gateway on the 192.168.1.x network and reconfigure itself to be a gateway on a different network (e.g. 192.168.0.x).  You can configure all other devices on your network to use your private DNS (via the settings you assign in your DHCP server), but you just cannot configure the AX73 to use your private DNS.

Apologies for the long-winded rambling, but wanted to let you and others know in case this applies to your current or future environment.

Options
2021-12-29 18:16:18

@MikeS21 Hello Mike, thanks for adressing this. I'm quite aware of the limit which is the reason why I got my own RasPi server and quite a massive zigbee network by now relying on a USB stick in the raspi an the aqara M2 hub (since a lot of my stuff is Aqara).

Good thing you mentioned it! It might save someone a bit of a head-ache!

Options
2021-12-29 19:31:02 - last edited 2021-12-29 19:34:24

@1nfinity 

Indeed, this undocumented "feature" was a massive headache until I stumbled upon the root cause and workaround. 

@tplink 

To be fair, I understand the intention was probably to protect non-technical consumers from wreaking havoc on an existing network by having the AX73 check for a conflicting gateway.  But it's invalid to assume the presence of DHCP and DNS services on another host always indicates a duplicate gateway/subnet conflict.  Such a combination could legitimately exist via a local server, pi device, NAS, etc.

Ideally, a future firmware could provide a configuration option to disable this "auto-detection".  This would serve to: 

1. Inform users that this hidden behavior exists so such conflicts don't force users to spend hours investigating why the router keeps changing its subnet.
  2. Allow users to override the auto-detection and configure their network via whatever DNS/DHCP configuration they prefer. 

To summarize, the issue only occurs when both DHCP and DNS are detected on a single, separate IP, but its impact is very severe (disables entire network).  As for the workaround, being forced to direct the router to use an alternate DNS prevents DNS queries made via the gateway from being routed to the private DNS.  This creates a gap in resolving internal hostnames, overriding lookups, blocking domains, etc.  So such a workaround isn't a fully functional, valid solution.

AX73

DNS

Private

DNS

AX73

DHCP

OK OK

Private

DHCP

OK NOT OK

NOT OK = "To avoid IP conflict with the front-end device, your routers IP address has been changed to X.X.X.X"

Options