How to Connect TP-Link Router to a third-party VPN Provider (For ExpressVPN, NordVPN, etc.)

How to Connect TP-Link Router to a third-party VPN Provider (For ExpressVPN, NordVPN, etc.)

2021-12-28 05:47:14 - last edited 2023-04-13 08:17:30
Model: TP-Link Routers  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

A growing number of community users are showing great interest in the VPN Client feature on the TP-Link routers, we are happy to announce here that we do have some router models that support the VPN Client feature, and there will be more in the near future.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Kind Note:
This post will be actively updated to notify the new models that add the support for the VPN Client feature, welcome to subscribe!

What is a VPN Client?

Visit this link to understand what is a VPN client and how to set one up on the TP-Link VPN router.

What are the models that support VPN Client?

Visit the TP-Link website to get the models that support VPN Client.

Note:

1. If you cannot find the VPN Client feature on your router in the above product list, check and update your router firmware to the latest version.
2. The VPN Client product list is subject to change and might not include all models and hardware versions. Changing means that models can be both added and removed, or even just updated without warning. It is recommended to keep watching the firmware releases for your router, as the VPN client feature will be listed in the patch notes if/when it is added to your version.

3. Be aware that PLANNED is not a guarantee, as the plan can be adjusted or changed. We always recommend choosing a router based on the features that are currently offered, and not what could be.

How to use the VPN Client feature on the TP-Link Router?

Go through the setup guide to configure and use the VPN Client feature:
How Do I Use VPN Client to Access a Remote VPN Server

What VPN Server does the VPN Client work with?

The VPN Client of the TP-Link router can work with third-party VPN Servers such as Surfshark, NordVPN, Mullvad, Proton VPN, Express VPN, PrivateTunnel, OVPN, PIA, etc. Let the community know if it works with other VPN Servers that are not listed.

Note: If the above VPN service provider updates their VPN settings and/or protocols, we may need to update the router firmware to support them in the future.

Welcome to comment below if there is anything that needs to be updated or if you have more concerns.

Related Articles:

Deco X50/X55 Supports VPN Server and VPN Client via Firmware Update

What is a VPN client? How to set one up on a TP-Link router.

How to Establish a VPN Connection on TP-Link Wi-Fi Router?

Manually create the unified format for OpenVPN profile when connecting to CyberGhost OpenVPN Server

What can I do if VPN Client is not working?

-------------------------------------------------
Have other off-topic issues to report?
Welcome to > Start a New Thread < and elaborate on the issue for assistance.

Options
59 Reply
Re:Routers Supporting VPN Client
2022-01-10 17:25:01 - last edited 2022-01-10 17:25:54

I see that the AX6000 is slated to get support at a later time (yay) - but my question: is this another thing that will only be accessible when the router is in "Router mode" vs "Access Point Mode" - Far too many controls are hidden behind the Router mode wall. e.g. - changing the access password for USB - requires switching to router mode, which scrogs/borks a number of the settings, and then switch back. Last time I did this I had to re-apply a number of settings - rather annoying to say the least.

Options
2022-01-13 09:27:48

@ffr2822 

VPN Client is only supported when the router is working at Router mode.

Options
2022-02-28 14:52:17

@Kevin_Z  Please could you consider including the VPN Client feature on the AX300 Deco X60 v 2.0 router

Options
2022-03-01 08:01:56

Greg_C wrote

@Kevin_Z  Please could you consider including the VPN Client feature on the AX300 Deco X60 v 2.0 router

Hello @Greg_C, thank you for your suggestion. But Deco belongs to a different category, so I'm not sure it will support VPN Client in the future. It's suggested to request this by opening a thread in the below sub-forum:

https://community.tp-link.com/us/home/forum/231

Options
2022-03-26 21:15:29

Any update for AX11000 firmware? It's been a while since any word  @Kevin_Z 

Options
2022-03-28 03:44:23

@RandomDude 

Hello, we have updated the original post and provided a beta firmware that adds the support for VPN Client feature, you can install it on your AX11000 if you request it.

Options
2022-03-30 21:32:34

@Kevin_Z 

Hello Good afternoon It will be that you can inform the engineers of having the possibility of including VPN Client - LAN L2TP (IPSec Pre-Shared Key) with this option I will be able to use my VPN provider currently it is not there and in the option one of VPN client if it is but the Download speed is very low in the VPN Client - LAN L2TP option, the speed is very good, that is, fast, I hope I have been clear in the request.

Archer AX20 US V2.0

File:
Sin título.pngDownload
Options
2022-03-31 03:06:12

macmax1718 wrote

@Kevin_Z 

Hello Good afternoon It will be that you can inform the engineers of having the possibility of including VPN Client - LAN L2TP (IPSec Pre-Shared Key) with this option I will be able to use my VPN provider currently it is not there and in the option one of VPN client if it is but the Download speed is very low in the VPN Client - LAN L2TP option, the speed is very good, that is, fast, I hope I have been clear in the request.

Archer AX20 US V2.0

@macmax1718 

Hello, you are correct, the VPN you are using doesn't support IPSec security, we have stated it here. I will not know if this can be improved in the future, but I will record the request in our system for future evaluation.

Options
2022-04-04 02:51:32

@Kevin_Z 

who do we send feedback for the beta version?

A couple things I noticed:

- LACP vs Static LAG options now present verse before just one option which was Static LAG and you have to select it or else it won't work after update

- VPN Client works flawlessly, you can select the device that you want to go through VPN however there should be an option for all devices

Otherwise a stable beta so far. 

Thanks again! 

Options
2022-04-06 12:11:14

@RandomDude 

Thank you very much for your suggestions and feedback. You can report it here in the community forum, then we can record it and bring it to the R & D team.

Regarding the Link Aggregation, the default option could be Static LAG, am I right? Do you mean you need to choose LACP to make it work? What is the device you are trying to do the Link Aggregation for?

An option for all devices to connect to the VPN server would be a good idea, we will log it to the R & D team for consideration.

Options

Information

Helpful: 5

Views: 18164

Replies: 63

Related Articles