Please Help! Should Archer AX50 be used in "Wireless Router" mode or the "Access Point" mode?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Please Help! Should Archer AX50 be used in "Wireless Router" mode or the "Access Point" mode?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-01-05 22:13:55 - last edited 2022-01-06 21:53:07
Model: Archer AX50  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.0.11 Build 20210730 rel. 54485

I'm wondering if the Archer AX50 needs to be in the "Wireless Router" mode or the "Access Point" mode?

I have Google Fiber using their black router from a couple of years ago. I have purchased and am using the TP-Link Archer AX50 for Wifi because the Google Fiber router wifi is terrible. I have turned off the Google Fiber routers wifi and connected it to my Archer AX50 via ethernet. The Archer AX50 is currently running as a wireless router. I also have a range extender (TP-Link AC1750 WiFi Extender (RE450)) running in the extender mode.

My house is three stories and 4,500 sq.ft.. The Archer AX50 and the Google Fiber routers are on the top floor and the Range Extender is on the middle floor. I have Google Fiber Gigabit service.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Please Help! Should Archer AX50 be used in "Wireless Router" mode or the "Access Point" mode?
2022-01-13 10:02:11

@mfrymyer 

In general, using AX50 as an AP (in this scenario) you can avoid double NAT in your network. The benefit is easier troubleshooting when there are problems, less complicated topology, faster packets transmission. It's used when you want to expand your wireless network coverage.

Switching the router from "Router Mode" to "AP Mode (Access Point Mode)" does however disable most features, you can check the article for more details:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2420/

Yep, do that at your convenience.

Options
Re:Please Help! Should Archer AX50 be used in "Wireless Router" mode or the "Access Point" mode?
2022-01-13 16:00:42
Thanks. I decided to get rid of the Google box and just use the AX50. That doubled my speed with 0 problems.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 560

Replies: 2