Cannot disable MAC Address spoofing when in extender mode

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-01-06 03:55:00
Model: RE200  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: 1.0.7 Build 20200922 Rel. 39466

I am using the RE200 as a WiFi extender connected wirelessly to my router. The problem is that all the devices that are connected to it, are showing with a "spoof" MAC Address in the router. For instance, I have one that starts with D8-F1-5B-97:xx:xx but in the Router it is showing as 5a:be:aa:97:xx:xx

It seems that for some reason, the RE200 is just deciding to spoof the MAC on its own, but there is no option anywhere in the settings to disable that. Does anyone knows how to get rid of this?

thanks

Options
3 Reply
Re:Cannot disable MAC Address spoofing when in extender mode
2022-01-06 08:21:21

@superyorch Hello 

TP-Link Range extender working as a proxy will replace each of its clients’ MAC address with a virtual MAC address generated automatically by Range Extender. Thus the router will take the virtual MAC address of the clients as their real MAC address, currently there isn't a way to turn off the proxy mode. You could learn details from this related FAQ 

How to set up Mac Filtering on router (blue UI) to control the devices connected to the Range Extender?

If you wish to set up Mac filtering or access control on router through RE, here are some  instructions & FAQ that may help. 

- Disable Mac filtering/ Access Control feature on your router 
- Turn ON the extender and connect all the Wi-Fi devices to your extender network.
- Login Range extender web page and find the *virtual Mac of your devices as FAQ above
- Go to router web and add 1) RE 's mac 2) ALL the Mac address beginning with RE's Mac addresses on router Mac filter/ access control list 
e.g. If RE Mac is 50:C7:BF:1B:ED:C6, add all the Mac addresses  with 50:C7:BF into router settings

( for dual-band range extender: add both RE's 2.4GHz & 5Ghz Mac addresses 
How to find Mac of WiFi work: on Windows computer, open cmd window, put in  netsh wlan show interfaces. The BSSID is the Mac address of your Wi-Fi network )

Hope this helps. 

Options
2022-01-06 16:08:56

@Solla-topee thank you very much for your answer! This actually makes a lot of sense, and now I know more about how a repeater works and how to better manage MAC address filtering. My main goal was to assign static IPs to the devices in my LAN to analyze connections and traffic (I added those static IPs to a hosts file in one server and then a host name which made the analysis easier to read).

I appreciate your insight. Have a great day

Options
2022-01-07 02:27:59 - last edited 2022-01-07 02:30:25

Hello @superyorch 

Thank you for sharing the case details. 

1-  I wonder if manually set up a static IP on client/ device itself helps :  e.g. set up static IP for Windows/IOS/MAC etc.  
Here is a guide to set up static IP on Windows: https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/41/

2. Try to reserve an IP address on router using Virtual MAC address on RE web client list  for clients that connected to RE and works at a fixed location ( does not need to roam between Router and RE, this may not work for mobile devices that need always roam between RE and router. ) 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 438

Replies: 3