5 GHz WiFi

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

5 GHz WiFi

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
5 GHz WiFi
5 GHz WiFi
2022-01-08 21:58:53
Model: Archer A20  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I just switched from a Linkys router and am unsure about what I'm seeing.  My old router treated 2.4 and 5 GHz bands as a single WiFi.  The new AC4000 broadcasts all three bands as WiFi's but only the 2.4 connects to the internet.  What's going on here?

Options
2 Reply
Re:5 GHz WiFi
2022-01-24 09:58:52

@Emitch 

Firstly, be sure the firmware version of the router is up-to-date. If not, update the firmware.

If the 5GHz wireless still doesn't work, please check if you can get the correct IP address when connecting to the 5GHz network, try to do a ping test, and see if you can get a reply. Below is the guide to do a ping test:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/425/

If there is no reply or timeout, please reset the router to facotry defaults, reconfigure it from scratch, then connect to the 5GHz network again to see if you can access the internet.

If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
Re:5 GHz WiFi
2022-01-25 01:06:01

@Emitch 

A20 and most TP-Link routers have SMART CONNECT. Smart Connect when enabled uses a SINGLE SSID, that of the 2.4Ghz band. When device connects to the Router, IT determines which band it actually goes to. In the case of the A20, 2.4Ghz, 5Ghz-1 or 5Ghz-2 based on the device capability and the SSID band loads.

Emitch wrote

I just switched from a Linkys router and am unsure about what I'm seeing.  My old router treated 2.4 and 5 GHz bands as a single WiFi.  The new AC4000 broadcasts all three bands as WiFi's but only the 2.4 connects to the internet.  What's going on here?

Maybe I don't understand you fully? Are you saying:

1. I only see the 2.4Ghz SSID to connect to?
  2. Looking at the devices, they connect with a Connection Speed of less that 300Mbps?
  3. I don't have Smart Connect enabled, and the devices that connect to the 2.4Ghz SSID can connect to the Internet but those connecting to either 5Ghz SSID can not?

Each of the above could be different problems, and  #1 is easy if Smart Connect is enabled, want to see ALL SSID's, DISABLE Smart Connect under Wireless.

For #2, more data like devices, did you forget the old network, and other info would halp here.

For #3, are all getting the DNS from the router? Are they specifying the correct Router IP Address (and did they FORGET the old Network, especially if you are using the SAME SSID names?)?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 484

Replies: 2

Related Articles