Upgrade to M9 - Question about using mix of eithernet/wireless backhaul?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-01-11 20:37:28 - last edited 2022-01-11 21:14:55
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I am in the need to update my home network and am planning to move to an M9 mesh solution.  Currently I have 3 different wifi networks that I constantly need to swtich between as I move around the buildings.  My cable service comes into the steel outbuild where my office is and I have a single CAT6 cable running to the house which is 150' away.  With my current equipment I don't think there is a way to have a single wifi network throughout the property.

I know I can set up the Main M9 as router in my outbuild and then use eithernet backhaul to go to the M9 AP in the basement.  My question is if I can use wireless backhaul to connect the M9 AP in the basement with the M9 AP on the main floor?

Is there any reason to try to use the Archer 2300 with a mesh setup?  I don't think this is possible.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Upgrade to M9 - Question about using mix of eithernet/wireless backhaul?
2022-01-12 01:51:43 - last edited 2022-01-12 02:02:42

@311Hemi 

Hi, the proposed layout will work and the main floor AP could be wirelessly connected to the basement AP.

And I have a little question here, the 150’ here is 150 ft, right?

For the Archer C2300, the following layout is also worth a try:

Since the outbuilding is quite far enough, SSID 1 and SSID 2 would be less overlapped.

And the SSID 1 and SSID 2 in the layout could be named the same if you want.

Then you will have one spare M9 in the House to locate where there is a Wi-Fi dead spot.

842211a96d1346fcb8ddb4797a80b8c1

Options
2022-01-12 16:27:24 - last edited 2022-01-12 16:28:38

@TP-Link 

And I have a little question here, the 150’ here is 150 ft, right?  

Yes, this is correct.  And after a quick review it's actually only around 115 ft, not 150 ft.  For the second option to work I would have to see if I can limit/reduce the wifi range on the c2300 to help force devices to change over when walking back and forth between buildings.

With that said, I think the layout of the house can be covered by two M9's.  I don't think I would need one on a third level so if it helps roaming capability by having all M9's that would be my preference.

One more question, is there any throughput data loss if I did have an M9 on both the main level and second level diasy chained via wireless backhaul (the diagram you posted)?  I know this is an issue for dual band, but does the data get cut in half on each jump when using tri-band devices? 

Options
2022-01-13 01:11:06

@311Hemi 

Hi, As long as they are over wireless backhaul, there would be throughput loss.

But Comparing with dual-band, tri-band units have a delicate 5G band for backhaul and the throughput loss will not be so much(at least less than 50%).

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 431

Replies: 3