Deco S4 Incredibly Slow WiFi Sometimes

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-01-12 08:46:17 - last edited 2022-01-12 08:47:21
Model: Deco S4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.5.0 build 20210607

Hi,

Just installed a set of 2 Deco S4s over the weekend and the WiFi performance is sometimes abysmal, even next to the units themselves. Here's a picture of the network topology. I've left out other devices that shouldn't influence the network's performance. 

This is the behaviour I'm seeing. A lot of times, the two Decos work as expected, with speeds of 200-300 Mbps, especially if used consistently from the same device. If you haven't used the device (iphone 13 Pro for example) for a long time, then the next time you try to go on the internet the speeds (as shown by Okla's SpeedTest as well) start strong, but then taper off quickly to only 0.15-0.1 Mbps and I can see content not loading at all. Almost like the Decos enter some sort of power saving mode. The performance of the devices wired into the network is always very strong (700-800Mbps) which makes me suspect the Decos are at fault.

7e3ef48d245b401987440fcfdd5315b5

Options
6 Reply
Re:Deco S4 Incredibly Slow WiFi Sometimes
2022-01-12 15:58:36

@alexxs88 - when you say incredibly slow, is it in the double digit slow, like 20Mbps?   I have a similar set up as you and am using the S4 in AP mode as well.   See my other post as I've been able to fix my issue by reading the logs and seeing a message that appeared to be really off.  

Options
2022-01-12 16:00:38

@fpgirard I mentioned in the message. It drops to 100Kbps or so. I'll check your thread. Thanks!

Options
2022-01-12 17:38:41
I need better glasses. Yea, my rates weren't that bad but what I found is that my main Deco S4 got so busy handling the error condition that it pretty much stopped handling traffic - i would notice spikes in the busy/idle rate and then the error messages in the log. The app and web interface are so primitive that it's difficult to get under the cover and see what's really going on - with the exception of the log.
Options
2022-01-12 17:43:37

@fpgirard can you please tell me where I could find the system logs and how you've resolved your exception?

Options
2022-01-14 07:01:46

@alexxs88 

​​​​​​​Hi, you might need to log into the web UI of Deco via http://tplinkdeco.net.

Then go to advanced settings>system log.

At the same time, you could also try to turn off the Mesh technology on the mobile devices to run a test:

https://community.tp-link.com/us/home/forum/topic/520966

Thank you very much.

Options
2022-01-14 13:51:32

@alexxs88 - hi - like the TP-link moderator said, go to the web interface, select advanced, and you'll see the system log entry in the left column. 

I went ahead and downloaded the entire log to my Mac and used my favorite editor (Sublime) to see what was going on,  gazillion entries like the one I posted were logged for a single device.   See if there's a device on your network that is forcing the main router to use all of its resources logging.  That was the problem for me.

Good luck - keep me posted!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 890

Replies: 6