Decos slow speeds at farthest node along wireless backhaul

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-01-17 16:43:40
Model: Deco X60  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.07 Build 20210915 REl. 62826

Hello,

After seeing so much success with the X90s in my SG home, we went with the Deco mesh wifi system for the Philippines home as well. The issue is this site is much larger and has no ethernet ports for wired backhaul. Recently upgraded from Deco M5s to the X60s for stronger signal and its worked, increasing our throughput on the 2nd floor. (We did notice oversaturation issues when running 2 Deco M5s with the X60 on the 2nd floor (is this due to proximity?)

Additionally, we run this through an EdgeRouter X with 200mbps speeds from our ISP, PLDT. We do this so we can have VPN support as well as more granular control over the network to support the various services we run. Each of the Decos are operating in access point mode.

The current setup is:

1st Floor

Modem --> EdgeRouter X --> Deco X60 (Main)

2nd Floor

Deco X60 and a Deco M5, both running as satellite Decos. When in the same room as the Deco X60 here, speeds are fantastic at 200Mbps or more. I suspect my ISP actually gives us more than 200Mbps to ensure we always receive 200Mbps at minimum.

3rd Floor

Deco X60 and a Deco M5, both running as satellite Decos over wireless backhaul. The issue here is that the wifi on the 3rd floor is significantly slower than the 2nd floor, at most reaching 70-80 mbps, but usually slower, as well as dropping packets. The app shows the X60 is connected to the 2nd floor X60.

Upon testing I hypothesize it to be a bufferbloat issue for the 3rd floor. This was tested using a ping test to google.com and monitoring the ping whilst the speed test was running. During the speedtest I saw dropped packets (shown as icmp timeouts) as well as massively increased ping (moving from 40ms to 400ms). This issue is not seen when plugged directly into the EdgeRouter X via Ethernet (SQM has been enabled as well and this helped a little bit).

Did I miss something during my configuration or is this just a limit due to the wireless backhaul and non dedicated channel for the Deco X60s? Why am I seeing such different speeds from the 2nd floor and the 3rd floor Decos? Is this potential bufferbloat on the deco end? Would there be a way to fix this?

Thank you.

Options
1 Reply
Re:Decos slow speeds at farthest node along wireless backhaul
2022-01-18 06:01:01

@Pal54 

Hi, Thank you for the feedback.

There is no additional configuration needed.

And Could you please also share a picture of the network topology of Deco on the web UI, for example:

TP-Link

I tend to think it is more related to the wireless backhaul.

Why is my satellite Deco unit not getting the same speed as the main Deco?

And Due to the working pattern and protocol/regulation of Wi-Fi technology, the more wireless hops, the slower the speed would be.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 911

Replies: 1

Related Articles