ax11000 and wd black p10 5tb extenal drive going to sleep

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-01-22 17:56:27
Model: Archer AX11000  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.3 Build 20210719 rel.14861(5553)

I have a usb external 5tb drive wd black p10 connected to the usb port of the router.  After some time (like 2 hours) the drive will go to sleep.  When I try to connect to it after it goes to sleep, it will not wake up on its own.  I have to login to the router and rescan the drive for it to wake up and appear on the network again OR unplug it and replug it in.

How do I stop it from going to sleep at all, so its readily accesible on the network whenever I need to access it?

Options
5 Reply
Re:ax11000 and wd black p10 5tb extenal drive going to sleep
2022-01-25 10:14:09

@Nutkase 

I guess there are no settings on the router to not allow it to go to sleep. Can you confirm if it goes to sleep mode when it is directly plugged into the USB port of the computer? You may check if there is any setting on the USB drive itself to disable the sleep mode or standby mode.

Options
2022-01-25 11:33:57

@Nutkase 

Not sure if this is the 'solution', but all the WD drives I've gotten, and most recently the MyBook's have the WD DRIVE UTILITIES on it or a link to D/L it. I can do some things such as test the drive and do a setting for Sleep Timer.

TP-Link

Under Setting you'll see this:

TP-Link

I've turned Sleep off on all my External drives and never had one go to sleep on me on a router.

Don't have the Utilities, you can go to WDC.COM under SUPPORT and then DOWNLOAD and get the application.

Options
2022-01-25 19:04:24

Thanks for all the info guys, unfortunently that WD software does not support this specific wd p10 drive, as it just says no wd drives found.  I tried one of my other wd mybooks and sure enough that software found it and gave me and option to turn off sleep on that drive.  So I guess its just this wd p10 5gb that doesnt have a controller board or something that i can turn sleep off on it.  Guess Ill just have to use a differnt drive that doesnt go to sleep since router unable to keep it awake 24/7.......

Options
2022-01-25 19:14:47

@Nutkase 

If you connected it and it read it, and then goes to sleep later, it clearly can read it.

The P10 is a Portable drive, and that might play into it. Those type of drives pull the power from the USB port. Quite possible once it goes to sleep it loses power (doubt it though)  via the USB port? Reason I don't think so is you'd never be able to wake it up, UNLESS the router sees that as a Drive Disconnect? Suspect this is why you have to do this, " I have to login to the router and rescan the drive for it to wake up and appear on the network again OR unplug it and replug it in."

Still, take the drive to a PC and use the Utility to turn off sleep might fix it? Have you tried this?

Options
2022-01-25 22:22:22

@Nutkase 

I re-read your reply, and I missed what you said about the WD s/w.

Yes, it is not supported by it. I checked here, https://support-en.wd.com/app/products/product-detailweb/p/1537

There is a link about not seeing the drive, but it is Generic info. It does state that the USB port might not have enough power to power the P10:

----------------

Power from USB ports can vary. The use of a Power Booster cable may be needed to provide enough power to the USB drive. A Power Booster cable is a Y-shaped cable with an extra connector that allows for connecting a USB device to two USB ports on a computer

----------------

Well not the P10 specifically.

Sorry about my confusion.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 673

Replies: 5

Related Articles