DecoM5 System Capability exceeded - Memory and System Logs Congested?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-02-05 16:53:19
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.6.0 Build 20210818 Rel. 54889

I have been needing to reboot my Deco M5 nodes A LOT!.  So much so that I turned on Daily Reboots.  It still has been insufficient to keep the Wi-Fi speedy. 

The CPU usage on all nodes is between 17% - 36%, with Memory consumption between 77%-80%. 

While reviewing the System Logs, I found thousands of repetitive entries like these below, there are in excess of 50 entries per minute; 

user.notice IMPROXY: INFO
user.warn IMPROXY: WARNING
daemon.err client_mgmt: client
daemon.err udhcpd[8731]: Sending ACK 
daemon.err udhcpd[8731]: clear ip 
user.notice IMPROXY: INFO[imp_verify_multicast_addr@245]
user.notice IMPROXY: INFO[imp_verify_multicast_addr@245]: 
user.notice IMPROXY: INFO[mcast_to_ex_hander@170]:
daemon.err udhcpd

I do have 52 devices, wired and Wireless, connected to my network, including over three dozen IOT devices. 

Have I just exceeded the capabilities and capacity of the M5 nodes?  Or is something else going on? 

Any help would be appreciated.  I have saved System logs for review if needed.

Options
8 Reply
Re:DecoM5 System Capability exceeded - Memory and System Logs Congested?
2022-02-07 09:07:08

Nijim283  R2D2_OneAndOnly Hi, I noticed you guys reported a similar issue about the Memory usage on the Deco X20-DSL and Deco X20.

What is your memory usage? How about the CPU load?

So I wonder how many online clients do you have? Among them, how many smart home devices do you have?

Have you ever noticed any performance issues when Memory reached a certain level, like a slow speed, unstable connection?

@DAServices  If refreshing the web UI, would the Memory usage reduce a little bit?

For Deco M5 with beta 1.6.0, it supported reboot schedule, and have you tried to set Deco to automatically reboot at a certain time?

I see you mentioned the speed on the Deco, when the Memory usage reached 80%, would the Wi-Fi speed decrease a lot?

Thank you very much.

Options
2022-02-07 14:20:04

@TP-Link Refreshing the Web UI has no apparent effect on the CPU or Memory usage. 

Yes I have enabled a daily reboot at 0300hrs. It has not done anything for the satellite M5 nodes. Apparently the reboot only affects the main M5 node. So I have resorted to using the App to manually reboot each satellite M5 node to resolve the Wi-Fi speed issue. Prior to the manual satellite reboot will be under 10Mbps, after over 200Mbps. 

"I see you mentioned the speed on the Deco, when the Memory usage reached 80%, would the Wi-Fi speed decrease a lot?"  Yes See the answer above.

Options
2022-02-09 03:40:41 - last edited 2022-02-11 07:34:36

@DAServices 

Hi,  I have checked with the engineers and they confirmed the Memory usage would not slow down the speed.

And they explain that Memory usage is more related to the number of satellite Deco units in the Mesh.

I see there are 5*M5, 1*M9, and 1*M3W that used to be bound to your TP-Link ID, and are they all online now?

As for your current speed loss, would the wireless speed of the main Deco M5 get affected if Memory is about 80% without reboot?

And if turning off the 2.4ghz, would 5ghz speed be the same as 10m/s?

By the way, are you able to test whether the wired laptop got a slow speed when the Memory is 80%?

If you run a speed test on the Deco APP>More>Test internet speed, how much speed you could get?

Thank you very much.

Options
2022-02-10 14:16:20

@TP-Link 
Attached bebug log, please take a look 

File:
Debug_log-2022-02-10.logDownload
Options
2022-02-10 19:52:41

@TP-Link 

The Memory usage at 80% does not seem to affect speed at the Sattelites. The reboot of a specific Sattelite node does restore Wi-Fi speed to 200Mbps+.  Prior to Sattelite reboot speed under 20Mbps. 

The Daily 3am reboot seems to not reset the Sattelites, only the main Deco. 

The MESH involved has the M5 and one M3W.  The M9 is intermittently used in a mobile application, not part of this MESH.

System Debug Log Attached

File:
log-2022-02-10.logDownload
Options
2022-02-11 07:33:48

The Memory usage at 80% does not seem to affect speed at the Sattelites. The reboot of a specific Sattelite node does restore Wi-Fi speed to 200Mbps+.  Prior to Sattelite reboot speed under 20Mbps. 

Here, I believe you try to say the memory usage does not affect the Main Deco M5?

The Daily 3am reboot seems to not reset the Satellites, only the main Deco. 

I tested before on my side and the reboot schedule worked on both main and satellite units since I see the LED on both change from solid green to yellow, then green again, and the previous log before reboot has been cleared as well.

@DAServices 

And as for the debug logs,Nijim283thank you both for your debug logs but I am afraid the logs did not help so much.I do hope you could help me check some basic information mentioned before.

Options
2022-02-11 17:08:28

@TP-Link 

I believe that you need to focus on the mesh reboot issue; 

"The reboot of a specific Sattelite node DOES restore it's Wi-Fi speed to 200Mbps+.  Prior to an individual Sattelite node reboot, the Wi-Fi speed is under 20Mbps. 

The Daily 3am reboot seems to not reset the Sattelites, but only the main Deco."

• I do not believe that either the CPU usage nor the Memory usage are indicators that there is a Wi-Fi speed problem.  
  • Once I reboot each Sattelite node, independently, the Wi-Fi Spped is returned to normal, while the CPU load and Memory usage appear to have remained unchanged.  
  • I believe that the M5 v1 nodes and the 1.6 firmware are fundamentally incompatible. This behavior started after I upgraded to the 1.6 beta firmware, prior to it being released mainstream. 

I reitterate;  After individually rebooting each sattelite Deco M5 node one at a time and then rebooting the main Deco M5 node, the Wi-Fi throughput to devices attached to each rebooted Deco M5 Sattelite node are then returned to connectivity speeds above 200Mbps and remain there for a few days.

Then after two or three days, the throughput Wi-Fi connectivity speed at each sattelite Deco M5 have again slowed by over 90%, across the entire mesh. And the individual node  reboot process must again be repeated on each Deco M5 node. 

I am going to disable the scheduled manual reboot, to see if that disrupts this continual degredation.  

Seeing you are unable to diagnose this,  what is the process and procedure to manually roll back to the last v1.5.x stable firmware on every Deco M5 node? 

Options
2022-02-16 07:49:07

@DAServices 

Hi, Thanks for your time and patience.

I might be more interested why all satellite units would randomly drop to 20m/s.

“Whether the scheduled reboot reset all Deco units or main unit”, I am still sticking to my opinion that it reset all but I am not sure since it reset all Deco but the speed did not restore, why an individual reboot is still needed on the satellites.

I will note it down when I escalated your case to the engineers later.

I checked your previous description about the network layout and simply it a little bit and could you please help me check whether I got the correct one:

By the way, could you please help me check the model numbers of the switch and PLC here?

da366a52dae04afb869378b6209d8b96

And I do hope you could help me check whether all the clients that are connected to the satellite units are capped to 20-25m/s?

If you did not physically reboot satellite units, they would remain about 25m/s for quite a long time, right?

Since all the nodes are the same, if possible, could you please change a different Deco as the main Deco to see whether it made any difference?

Finally, for the firmware downgrade, I don’t suggest downgrading back to 1.5.x since the 1.6.0 official firmware for Deco M5 is really coming this time.

Thank you for your attention so far.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1433

Replies: 8

Related Articles