Unable to use wi-fi Printer

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-02-06 14:49:00
Model: Deco S4  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.5.0

After setting up Deco S4 mesh wi-fi network everything is working fine except my Epson Artisan 730 wif-fi printer is no longer recognized on my home Mac wi-fi network. When trying to add the printer from the Mac Printers & Scanner System Preferences, I get the following message:

"Unable to communicate with the printer at this time. Unable to connect to ‘EPSON Artisan 730._ipp._tcp.local.’ due to an error. Would you still like to create the printer?" When responding Yes, I will get a repeat of the message.

I did update to the latest Epson printer driver & connect software for this Epson printer thinking that might be the problem. The only way I am able to use the printer now is via a USB printer cable connection from the printer directly to my iMac. Cannot print using wi-fi from my other computer or IOS devices. My Mac is running the latest OS Monterey & IOS devices are up to date.

I'm thinking maybe I need to assign a permanent IP address for the printer so the Deco S4 routers see it/find. If right, can this be done using the Deco App & if so, how?

Options
3 Reply
Re:Unable to use wi-fi Printer
2022-02-07 12:22:13 - last edited 2022-02-07 12:22:49

@Ozzboy 

Hi, could you please help me check whether I got it correctly:

Currently, both the Epson printer and MacBook are connected to the Wi-Fi network successfully, but when you try to add the printer on MAC for air-print, MAC is unable to locate the printer?

If yes, I used to see several similar cases:

Case one: Deco X60+HP printer

Solution: I have an HP Office Jet - and apparently HP turns off Internet Printing Protocol (IPP) by default. I went in through the printers web interface - in the case of this HP, it was in the NETWORKING tab, ADVANCED, Internet Printing Protocol. I ticked the Enable IPP box and voila - the printer shows up in the AirPrint dialog and prints as expected.

Your error is very close to this one and maybe you could check whether you have such an option on Epson.

Case two: Deco M5 with an unknown printer

Solution: I had assigned my printer a static IP address. When I went thru the setup wizard on the printer, it found my new deco wireless network, prompted me for the password, and then would say success, connected. But in reality, it wasn't fully on the network.  Windows could see it, but couldn't complete installing it as a device.  It would fail every time, and iOS devices couldn’t see it at all. Once I discovered the printer was still set for a static IP address, I changed it over to the dynamic, and now DECO announces a new device has been added to the network.

Options
2022-02-07 13:58:27

@TP-Link All my devices, computers (2 iMacs) and IOS devices are all recognized on my Deco S4 mesh wi-fi network. The Epson printer is not recognized by the network. When I try to add the the Epson printer as an air-printer via the iMac System Preferences,  that is when I get the mentioned communication error message. IOS devices also fail to find the printer. That tells me the printer is not on the network.

Options
2022-02-09 03:14:59

@Ozzboy 

Thanks for getting back to me.

In this way, I think the printer might not be successfully connected to the Wi-Fi yet.

If you check on the online list of Deco, will you be able to see the Epson printer here?

(A small notice, since you used other routers before Deco, in case you might set up static IP on the printer, could you please check whether the printer is set to DHCP/dynamic IP?)

I see the printer is capable of Ethernet connection, so I wonder if you are able to link it to S4 via Ethernet cable and check whether it could be recognized by Deco.

Options

Information

Helpful: 3

Views: 589

Replies: 3

Related Articles