Deco X20's, two cable modems one mesh is it possible? How?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-02-06 19:55:04 - last edited 2022-02-23 12:09:22
Model: Deco X20  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Howdy all,

We currently have 2 Deco X20's connected to our cable modem (Spectrum) which provides great coverage for our home.  We also have a shop (where I spend a fair amount of time) that is detached form the home but still gets pretty good reception.  We are putting a game room in the living area of the shop and have installed another cable modem (for hardwire gaming) and I would like to connect another Deco X20 there to the modem.

My goal would be, to be able to connect my gaming PC directly to the new X20 which in turn would connect directly to the new cable modem for maximum speed.  Secondary would be to connect to the existing mesh wireless network so we can roam from throughout the shop to home seamlessly.  I don’t know if it is possible or how (since the new deco would connect to the new cable modem and unsure how that would be configured without crossing over ip address (dhcp)).

If this is not possible is there another solution that would make sense for my desired outcome or is it just add a new mesh network with a new wireless name and we change wireless networks from shop to home?

Thanks for any input.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Deco X20's, two cable modems one mesh is it possible? How?-Solution
2022-02-07 08:08:15 - last edited 2022-02-23 12:09:22

@Runningp 

Hi, in the same Mesh network, only the main Deco is allowed to connect to the cable modem. So we cannot connect the satellite X20 to the second ISP.

If possible, you could try to set up two Mesh networks separately with different ISPs. Then change the two Mesh networks to use the same Wi-Fi SSID and password.

(Since Deco X20s in the same kit are pre-configured by default, normally once the main unit has been set up, the satellite units only need to be turned on. So when you try to create two Mesh networks via the same kit, please power off the first  Deco X20)

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:Deco X20's, two cable modems one mesh is it possible? How?-Solution
2022-02-07 08:08:15 - last edited 2022-02-23 12:09:22

@Runningp 

Hi, in the same Mesh network, only the main Deco is allowed to connect to the cable modem. So we cannot connect the satellite X20 to the second ISP.

If possible, you could try to set up two Mesh networks separately with different ISPs. Then change the two Mesh networks to use the same Wi-Fi SSID and password.

(Since Deco X20s in the same kit are pre-configured by default, normally once the main unit has been set up, the satellite units only need to be turned on. So when you try to create two Mesh networks via the same kit, please power off the first  Deco X20)

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Deco X20's, two cable modems one mesh is it possible? How?
2022-02-07 14:19:39

@TP-Link 

Thanks very much for the response!

All of your comments and thoughts make sense, the only question I have is if I follow your idea of setting up 2 mesh networks with the same wifi and ssid should I make their dhcp ranges different ie: Primary Deco would hand out 192.168.1.10 - 20 and Secondary would hand out 192.168.1.21 - 30 or should they hand out the same range?  Or should they be totally separate networks ie: Primary 192.168.1.x  and Secondary 192.168.0.x?

Thank you again and I'm pretty stoked to give this a shot.

Options
2022-02-09 03:06:45

Propose 1: Primary Deco would hand out 192.168.1.10 - 20 and Secondary would hand out 192.168.1.21 - 30 

Porpose 2: totally separate networks ie: Primary 192.168.1.x  and Secondary 192.168.0.x? 

@Runningp Thank you for getting back to me.

Since the two Deco Mesh came from two modems(or two different networks), even though they shared the same LAN IP range 192.168.1.xxx, their gateway might be different so these two networks are still not accessible to each other.

So I don't see any benefits of having the same IP range. or do you need to have the same LAN IP range or there two networks are accessible to each other?

Options
2022-02-23 12:08:14
Just an update to how I laid this out. I changed the primary deco network dhcp to hand out .50 - .100 kept the gateway as .1 Setup new deco's network (outside range of the existing network) the secondary hands out .101 - .151 also setup as .1 gateway same network name as primary plugged in (in range of primary network) into new cable modem Obviously on the app it shows as two separate networks (with the same name) but that doesn't bother me at all. It works perfectly and we have had no issues at all in the several weeks of heavy use. Thanks or the ideas and help. Keep up the good work!
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1375

Replies: 5

Related Articles