Wifi Dropping Intermittently on AX6000

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-02-07 17:42:31 - last edited 2022-02-07 22:23:16
Model: Archer AX6000  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.5 Build 20211208 rel.49262

I am experiencing the wifi connection dropping intermittently for devices on my network with an AX6000 router. This appears to have started earlier in January, I have upgraded firmware to the latest build available on the website. Internet still appears to work and laptops continue to work when the connection drops, likely on the 5GHz band. Suspect this might be a problem with stability of the 2.4GHz channel as it is mostly just smart devices (locks, lights, etc) that are losing their link. This is happening simultaneously across a variety of client devices so I expect this to be related to the router and not the devices.

Has anyone else started to experience this type of instability recently (Jan/22 and on)?

Is there any settings or logs that might be useful to test or isolate this type of problem?

Options
12 Reply
Re:Wifi Dropping Intermittently on AX6000
2022-02-08 12:14:26

@laveer 

Hello Laveer, please try disabling the Smart Connect feature on the AX6000 to be sure that the issue happens only on the 2.4GHz wireless connection. 

Have you tested for the 2.4GHz wireless interference around you? That could be the reason for the 2.4GHz band dropping so often. You can install a Wi-Fi analyzer to review the 2.4GHz wireless channels around you, then select the best (least congested) 2.4GHz band channel to test the connectivity again.

BTW, please change the wireless security to WPA2-PSK AES, you can also choose 802.11 a/n/ac mixed as for the mode, then monitor again.

Options
2022-02-10 16:00:17

@laveer Yes, this began to happen with my AX6000 about a couple weeks ago.  My unit is about a year old.  I do have a different symptom than you, the WiFi stays up but the internet connection goes out.  I plug into my Google Fiber Jack and internet is not disconnected from the ISP, so an issue with the AX6000 just started to appear.  It is completely random, sometimes once in a few days, other times, it goes out, reconnects itself and then fails again about 30 mins later.  Yesterday was the most significant, it never reconnected by itself even after an hour and not after rebooting.  It finally reconnected randomly on its own about 2 hours later.  Very frustrating when you have a stability issue going on with internet connectivity (my wife and I both work from home).  I've captured a couple logs, but when the unit reboots itself, the logs are lost.

I'm on the latest firmware:

Firmware - 1.2.4 Build 20210719 rel.12163(5553)
Hardware - Archer AX6000 v1.0

Options
2022-02-11 03:15:42

FrancisT wrote

@laveer Yes, this began to happen with my AX6000 about a couple weeks ago.  My unit is about a year old.  I do have a different symptom than you, the WiFi stays up but the internet connection goes out.  I plug into my Google Fiber Jack and internet is not disconnected from the ISP, so an issue with the AX6000 just started to appear.  It is completely random, sometimes once in a few days, other times, it goes out, reconnects itself and then fails again about 30 mins later.  Yesterday was the most significant, it never reconnected by itself even after an hour and not after rebooting.  It finally reconnected randomly on its own about 2 hours later.  Very frustrating when you have a stability issue going on with internet connectivity (my wife and I both work from home).  I've captured a couple logs, but when the unit reboots itself, the logs are lost.

I'm on the latest firmware:

Firmware - 1.2.4 Build 20210719 rel.12163(5553)
Hardware - Archer AX6000 v1.0

Hello @FrancisT, thanks for joining the thread.

It seems the issue you are experiencing is different from what laveer reported, yours seems the AX6000 disconnected from the Google fiber network, while laveer's is the 2.4G network disconnects. So we will try to discuss it again. Can I know who is your ISP?

When the internet drops on the AX6000, does the LED show solid red or orange or still blue? Next time when the internet drops on the AX6000 again, please don't reboot the router, but login to its web GUI to confirm if there is still a WAN IP address first, then click on Disconnect then Connect in the Internet page, check again if the internet will be back. If the internet is back, please save and send us the System Log on the router for reference.

Options
2022-02-11 04:32:12

@Kevin_Z

Thank you for your response.

Yes, agree that it's a different issue than just losing 2.4GHz.

I was actually on chat with support today and they determined that that I will need a new unit.

When the internet drops, the GUI page continues to show my "prior to being dropped" WAN IPs from my ISP (Google Fiber).

The LED is solid Red.  I do not see a connect/disconnect option in my advanced settings, Status -> Internet page (maybe I'm not looking in the right place).

While I was on with support, they had me reboot with no success.  Then they had me power off my Fiber Jack (Google Fiber wall jack where the fiber enters the house and is converted into CAT6) and unplug my AX6000.  Plugged both back in which restored internet connectivity.... for about 10 minutes at which time the internet dropped again.  They then had me toggle off Smart Connect off and change some channel and channel width settings.  I'm not sure what that was going to accomplish since my devices were all still connected to my AX6000 and I've never had Wifi issues, just internet connectivity dropping.

Anyways, like I mentioned, they then determined that the AX6000 is likely failing so they will be sending a new unit.

Francis

Options
2022-02-11 10:40:54

@FrancisT Thank you for the update. OK then, if they have helped with replacing the router, please do what they suggested, but I hope you could let me know if the replacement will work flawlessly.

Options
2022-08-01 20:41:37

@laveer I am having the exact same issue with the latest firmware, older firmware i have no issues.

Options
2022-08-02 03:14:19

@derailius1 

Are you experiencing the same issue as laveer that the 2.4G wireless connection of the AX6000 is not stable since updating the router firmware? If that is the case, please try my suggestions to laveer, such as trying with different wireless channels, changing security to WPA2-PSK AES, etc.

BTW, are the 5G and wired connection still stable after the firmware upgrade?

Options
2022-08-02 03:39:09 - last edited 2022-08-02 03:39:44

Kevin_Z wrote

@derailius1 

Are you experiencing the same issue as laveer that the 2.4G wireless connection of the AX6000 is not stable since updating the router firmware? If that is the case, please try my suggestions to laveer, such as trying with different wireless channels, changing security to WPA2-PSK AES, etc.

BTW, are the 5G and wired connection still stable after the firmware upgrade?

yes i'm experiencing the same exact issues as laveer, where the 2.4GHz signal is not stable. I have already tried your previous suggestions including limiting the channel width to 20MHz. After a period of time my 2.4GHz devices will just drop off. The only fix is to reboot the router or restart the WiFi via the GUI. This started happening several FW updates ago.

This issue started with the FW version: Archer AX6000(US)_V1_210511 and has continued in every FW release since then. (Archer AX6000(US)_V1_210719 and Archer AX6000(US)_V1_211208)

Yes the 5GHz band and ethernet has been fine after the FW upgrade.

Options
2022-08-02 09:40:12

@derailius1 

Thank you very much for getting back so quickly with the details.

Can I confirm again what are the devices that connect to the 2.4G network? Are they all lose the connection at the same time?

Please also check what is the 2.4G channel that the AX6000 broadcasts, and show us the wireless security settings on the router now, you can mask the SSID and password for any security concerns.

Have you ever reset the AX6000 to factory defaults ever since you experience the disconnect issue? If not, please give it a try.

Options
2022-08-02 11:15:12

@Kevin_Z 

Thank you for taking the time to help,

I have some WiFi outlets, a few tablets and some phones that connect on the 2.4GHz. Yes they do all lose connection at the same time. I have tried to reset to defaults after the firmware upgrade, and the problem still persists. I have left the channel modes to auto since changing to different less congested channels had zero effect. 

28cd6b7ac213468e936c6b4000ace9a3

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3576

Replies: 13

Related Articles