Port Forwarding not working on Deco X20

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-03-18 03:40:40
Model: Deco X20  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I previously had an old AirPort Extreme. I had it set up to forward ports to two machines: an iMac and a Pi4. This worked brilliantly and enabled me to ssh to either machine from anywhere. It also enabled me to set up reverse ssh tunnels from a couple of remote Pies to my iMac. This also worked brilliantly. 

Then I replaced the AirPort with a Deco X20 in router mode. Now port forwarding doesn't work at all. I can no longer ssh in to either machines and the ssh tunnels no longer work. 

I have set reserved IP addresses for both machines. I have forwarded external ports to port 22 on each machine. 

This is exactly how it was set up with the AirPort Extreme. It worked. It doesn't work with the Deco X20. 

What have I done wrong?

Options
2 Reply
Re:Port Forwarding not working on Deco X20
2022-03-21 02:34:03 - last edited 2022-03-21 02:34:57

@Ratsima 

Hi, have you checked on the Deco X20: Deco APP>More>Advanced>IPV4, whether the IP address here is a public IP address or not?

if not external port 22 for SSH access, could you please test with other remote access services, maybe like port 21/20  for a local FTP server?

Thank you very much.

Options
Re:Port Forwarding not working on Deco X20
2022-03-21 03:14:12

@David-TP  - Sorry for the bogus post. I have a long standing understanding with my ISP that they will always assign me a routable IP address. Unbeknownst to me and simultaneously with my purchase of the Deco X20 they gave me a non-routable IP. That's what caused the port forwarding fiasco. 

I have a shell script that runs periodically which checks my external IP address and updates my DDNS if necessary. Unfortunately, the check I use can't detect if I'm behind a CG NAT. 

It would really be great if there were a command-line way to query the Deco to get the WAN IP without having to open and look at the Deco app. Or, perhaps the Deco should send a notice if it detects a non-routable WAN IP. 

Options