AX1800 Poor network - problem with WAN modem connection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-03-20 22:33:18 - last edited 2022-03-20 22:37:36
Model: Archer AX1800  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

Hi everyone.

My friend bought a new AX1800 router. I still have experience with the TP-Link from the TL-WR542G, which was a great piece. I will not comment on the degradation of what web management looks like, namely that TP-Link merged MAC filtering together for LAN and Wifi which I acknowledge as progress so it is the possibility of simulating web managements. However I have never met in over 15 years so that the router cannot communicate with the modem via the WAN port! There were only two states, connected / disconnected, what passed from the modem is an expensive thing. I consider this to be a manufacturing defect of the AX1800. I was unable to connect the Compal CH7465LG cable modem (it is in bridge mode). The provider's network (ISP) registration page cannot be displayed either. It is not possible to communicate with the modem at all or ping it. The modem address 192.168.100.1 does not work (it works normally if the modem is connected to an external router). But of course, when I disconnect the AX1800 and return the PC to the modem, everything worked. The ISP provider limits the connection based on MAC addresses (so it fixedly assigns each participant its own IP address), even if I connected a new PC or a new routine, the registration page (http://reg.upc.sk - only works on the ISP's network) will always run to change the machine. This site from the ISP must works for everyone, whether I connect a register modem/router or not. If I choose a cloned MAC address and it is not in the ISP's registry then I should register this new "machine" through that provider's website and I currently have the Internet. Whether the MAC address is in the registry or not the modem setup must works!

There must be some communication because the AX1800 will display the correct ISP's DNS servers from the modem. However it shows an incorrect WAN IP address.

Thank you for your tips.

dcb6774e33d24bd2bcac5942dff6e7e2

Options
3 Reply
Re:AX1800 Poor network - problem with WAN modem connection
2022-03-21 03:35:48

@pirios 

What is the IP address and gateway you get when you connect the PC or WR542G to the Compal CH7465LG cable modem? I would still suggest cloning the PC's or WR542G's MAC address to the AX1800, then monitor if it can get the correct IP address. Below is the guide:

How do I configure MAC Address Clone on my TP-Link Archer Router?

Options
2022-03-21 20:26:06

@Kevin_Z 

I mention the WR542G for historical reasons. I have this same Compal modem at home. Everything always worked for me. However, it is true that I do not use modern TP-Link devices, but ASUS. I recommended the AX1800 to a friend, because it has higher demands on speed than me and the product was at a good price. We will keep trying because there are not many options left. The patch cable could be faulty.

Basic schema

60353ffa63bd4577a5e45b2e833924d5

Compal modem coax (on schema yellow cable, in the photos white)

54f1b046d73f416da3731a6433897d26

AX1800 (AX23) V1.0

638accded60a4618aa3fcdfbb47d7dab

Options
2022-03-22 06:52:22

@pirios 

The Compal modem's LAN/yellow port should be connected to the WAN/blue port of the AX1800, is that correct? As per the picture you attached, it seems the white cable from the Compal modem is plugged in the LAN/yellow port of the AX1800, that is not correct. Please confirm.

When your friend connect the Compal modem to the PC directly, how did you get the internet? Does he need to do some special setting on the PC, like a dial-up with some username and password? As per your description, you mentioned the Compal modem is in bridge mode, does it mean it's plug and play? I suggest your friend contact his ISP to get the correct internet type, whether it is dynamic IP or PPPoE, then do the correct setup on the AX1800 to see if it will connect to the internet.

Follow this setup video to review the settings on the AX1800 again:

How to Setup A TP-Link WiFi 6 Router

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 939

Replies: 3

Related Articles