AX55 strong 2.4Ghz signal but dismal transfer speeds

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

AX55 strong 2.4Ghz signal but dismal transfer speeds

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
16 Reply
Re:AX55 strong 2.4Ghz signal but dismal transfer speeds
2022-08-08 03:21:54

@Kevin_Z 

I'm practically in a room beside the router , both 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz coverage is practically still at 100% , the only way I solved this was to switch my 2.4Ghz channel to Channel 4 , only then does it actually work, problem is , the entire neighbouring networks are all also at Channel 4 , so it's still getting interference, but atleast it's now a "usable" 50-60Mbps for my CCTV cameras and other applicances to communicate without issue , but why is this an issue? Why is it that this super advanced and much more expensive Archer AX55 incapable of using any of the other 2.4Ghz channels? Like literally any other channel and the speed of the entire 2.4Ghz link drops to 5mbps and sometimes below 1 Mbps, this is kind of messed up if my older Tenda AC18 had zero issues and capable of reaching 100mbps on the same internet link, and as for your question about my internet package , it's a solid 500mbps downlink and 100 Mbps uplink , as confirmed from my Ethernet speed test and also from speed test on my MacBook Pro 16 on the 5Ghz network.

Options
2022-08-08 06:54:15

@Ryanrocksize5 

Thank you very much for getting back with all the detailed information.

Theoretically, the router itself will select the best channel automatically to have good Wi-Fi performance, you may find several networks are using the same wireless channel, but please be aware that "crowded" isn’t the same as busy, even though some channel scanning apps tell you one specific channel is busy, they don’t always measure other sources of congestion and interference. Non-Wi-Fi signals (like those from microwaves, Bluetooth devices, cordless phones, garage door openers, baby monitors, etc.) can all congest a channel but may not show up in a scan. So it’s possible that a channel can appear empty, while it is, in fact, saturated with other kinds of interference. So if you are using a crowded channel but you aren’t experiencing slow speeds, or unstable connectivity, don't worry.

BTW, if you are willing to figure out if channel 4 is the best in your environment further, I would like to escalate your case to our support engineers who may help analyze further. Please let me know how you want to proceed.

Options
2022-08-10 17:18:41

Hello  @Kevin_Z ,

Thanks for your reply.

End of the story: I switched back to the 5Ghz and it's working for now.

Why I switched to the 2.4 Ghz: I am at the end of a corridor (same distance as mentioned, no obstacle but not exactly a complete open space), and in the past I experienced some anoying coverage issue with the 5Ghz, especially while using the over gourmand Microsoft Teams.

Still: even if the 2.4 Ghz is known to be more congested, the downstream rates obtained on my laptop (screenshot posted above) while connected to this band is nothing near normal. I would assume and flag a bug (and expect a fix). Then... it's on you :D

Options
2022-08-11 06:10:10

@TangO.o 

Thank you for getting back.

As you can see that both Eric and Ryan fixed their 2.4G issue by modifying the 2.4G channel (they both chose channel 4), you can give it a go, you may try channel 4 also to check if that helps.

I understand the wireless speed is far from normal when connecting to the 2.4G network, but you would also understand that the 2.4G wireless signal is easily interference with lots of devices that work in the same band such as microwave ovens or Bluetooth, and it's also related to the negotiation speed between the AP and the client device.

If you would like to investigate this further, I'm happy to escalate the case to our support engineers, who will work with you to figure it out. Please let me know how you want to proceed.

Options
2022-10-11 20:59:06

@Kevin_Z 

Hello I am having this issue as well. I have IoT devices that require the 2.4 GHz band and they dont stay connected. On my phone its difficult to connect and get slow speeds or it cant even run a speed test. Im on V1.6 and have made my 2.4Ghz on channel 4. What should I do to fix this because some devices cant use the 5GHz network. BTW the 5GHz works fine and gives full speed accros my apartment. 

Options
2022-10-13 07:19:33

@z34099 

As per the 2.4G dropping issue, do you mean all the IoT devices disconnect from the network? What are they? What is the distance from the router? How about the RSSI on the IoT device app for the network when they connect?

I would suggest trying different wireless channels for the 2.4G network, you may install a Wi-Fi analyzer on the phone to monitor the surrounding networks, then choose one that less congested with others.

Be sure the AX55 firmware is up-to-date.

Options
Related Articles