Archer AX55 randomly drops internet connection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-06-06 17:02:24 - last edited 2023-06-09 07:41:11
Model: Archer AX55  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.2 Build 20230511 rel.51682

Hi there, starting about a month ago, my Archer AX55 would just drop the internet connection. All lights on the device would remain green, however, when I logged in to the tether app, it would show a generic router with no indication as to the model. Unplugging and plugging it back in would resolve the problem. It happens at random times of the day and has occurred more than 5 times since the latest firmware update of 05/11/2023. Assuming there was an issue with the firmware update. 

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Archer AX55 randomly drops internet connection-Solution
2023-06-07 01:28:39 - last edited 2023-06-09 07:41:11

Hello @haew57742 

Thank you for posting on the TP-Link Community.

We do similar feedback with regards to the AX55 firmware upgrade and dropping internet issue, and the development team has already provided beta firmware to address it, please download and install it on your AX55 to observe if the internet will become stable:

Solution to Archer AX55 V1 Firmware 1.2.2 Build 20230511 dropping internet issue

Please feel free to let me know if this beta firmware fixes the issue or not.

If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Recommended Solution
Options
8 Reply
Re:Archer AX55 randomly drops internet connection-Solution
2023-06-07 01:28:39 - last edited 2023-06-09 07:41:11

Hello @haew57742 

We do similar feedback with regards to the AX55 firmware upgrade and dropping internet issue, and the development team has already provided beta firmware to address it, please download and install it on your AX55 to observe if the internet will become stable:

Solution to Archer AX55 V1 Firmware 1.2.2 Build 20230511 dropping internet issue

If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Archer AX55 randomly drops internet connection
2023-06-08 17:42:02

@Kevin_Z 

I'm still having connectivity issues with the latest firmware. Like this morning my internet dropped out of nowhere.

Had to come home and reboot the router to get it back online. Will there be any new firmware push to fix this?

On 5/22/2023 I received an email from TP-Link Support team on how to troubleshoot with no success on my end. 
Do I need to replace this router?

KP7

Options
2023-06-08 20:08:06
I am having a similar issue with this, but I have the v1.6. Has a beta firmware been provided for this model as well
Options
2023-06-09 07:41:02

Hello @KP7  @Uhaneikaao 

As suggested, please download the beta firmware from the below link and upgrade it manually on your AX55 to observe if the internet will be stable.

Options
2023-06-09 21:45:58

@Kevin_Z 

I already have the beta and no it does not work. It keeps dropping my internet service.

KP7

Options
2023-06-12 01:26:57

@KP7 

I found you have already contacted our support engineer, and they will help troubleshoot the issue further.

Please pay attention to your email box and reply to them directly to follow it up. Thank you.

Options
2023-06-14 21:51:45

@Kevin_Z Hi, the beta firmware did not work.  In fact it didnt really function.  Here was my experience:

I have two Archer AX55, one is main router (first floor), the other is in AP mode (2nd floor). Both have the same SSID, same password, and both had the same firmware. 

I worked on the AP today only (rebooted laptop at least everytime I rebooted router throughout).. started around 9an ET today.

I had 1.2.2 Build 20230511 rel.51682(5553) installed.  I Isolated the AP off network, connected via Ethernet to port 1 from my laptop. Upgraded firmware successfully to beta 1.2.2 Build 20230606 rel.71120.  Router rebooted.  I waited 15 mins, no lan connection (media disconnected), SSID showed on my phone, but I was unable to connect.  Forgot WIFI network, and tried to reconnect.  Unsucessful.  Rebooted modem manually.  Same issue.  The power light blinks for a good long while (maybe 15-30 mins?) then shuts off.  Both WIFI lights are on solid. Tried to factory reset (10-20 secs), no response from the router. tried again, nothing.. just blinks the power light. Power off, hold reset, power on.. Orange light on internet .. obtain IP.. Can only flash firmware.  RE-flash Beta 1.2.2 Build 20230606 rel.71120.  Same as before, Lan ports non-active, WIFI unaccessible. Power off, hold reset, power on.. Orange light on internet .. obtain IP..

Flash firmware to 1.2.0 Build 20230314 rel.72183(5553). Upgraded sucessfully, it told me to manual reboot. Powered off router, waited 10 mins, power on.  Auto opens config page.  Configure admin password and Time zone, skip the rest of the wizard.  Reboot router.  Log back in, everything seems good.  Try to upgrade to Beta 1.2.2 Build 20230606 rel.71120. Upgrade sucessful. Auto opens config page, Configure router to AP mode, router reboots. Lan ports inactive, cannot connect to WIFI, again.

Power off, hold reset, power on.. Orange light on internet .. obtain IP. Flash firmware to 1.2.0 Build 20230314 rel.72183(5553). This is up and working now.

-----

More info on my original issue with 1.2.2 Build 20230511 rel.51682(5553). The issue is not a random internet drop. Its a random(ish) hardware crash.  The issue begins with losing WIFI, immediately seeing a generic TP-Link router in the Tether app.  Lan remains active for an hour or more (generally) before the router drops internet and needs to be rebooted.  Once rebooted it will stay up 3-5 days (for me). The logs are wiped during the crash.

I have noticed the CPU and Mem graphs peg near 100% utilization multiple times a day.  The majority of my WIFI devices are on the 1st floor and tend to attach to the main router. Prior to today, only my Main router had crashed (i rebooted the AP at the same time, only because I reboot it all when this happens). However, last Saturday I turned off the WIFI on the main router and connected all WIFI devices to the AP.  The AP crashed today, while the Main router did not crash, initially. During my initial Beta troubleshooting, I did re-enable just the 5 ghz on the main router (around 10:30 maybe?) It later crashed at 4:45. It definitly seems related to the handling of WIFI traffic in my case. I do have around 12 connected Lan Devices as well on the regular, and a 1/1 GB fiber connection. Also 4, GB, switches that feed into the network as well.

Additionally I attempted to use the IOT network after the firmware was originally pushed.  Oonly about 1/2 to 2/3 of my devices would connect to it, no matter the placement, I only have 4 brands of IOT devices, one brand of phone.. and a few different "computers".  Brand did not seem to matter. Also devices would drop from the IOT and not be accessible without a reboot.  I shut down the IOT network and moved everything back to the main network.

Hope all this helps. Let me know if you need anymore detail.

Options
2023-06-16 12:24:29

@Uhaneikaao 

Thank you very much for your detailed information about the issue that occurred on the AX55.

Actually, we have released a new official firmware that could address the issue now, please check the updated solution here below:

Options