Tracking Down IP Address

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Tracking Down IP Address

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Tracking Down IP Address
Tracking Down IP Address
2022-03-29 11:04:27 - last edited 2022-04-01 14:34:15
Model: Archer A6  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 3.0.8 Build 20211219 Rel. 66975 (US)

I'm checking out our DHCP list on our Archer C1200 and I am seeing an `Archer_A6` on the client list.  I did a search for this model and it is the same as the C1200?  So, why is it showing on our DHCP list?  Sort of weird.  It's showing a different MAC address than what is the router MAC address, so I'm befuddled here.  I am wanting to track this down.  Any tips/pointers/insight would be appreciated.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Tracking Down IP Address-Solution
2022-04-01 14:33:58 - last edited 2022-04-01 14:34:15

LOL @Kevin_Z I apologize but after further digging, I do have another C1200!!!  UGH, it has been that kind of week.  Everything that is anything has been on fire this past week and I got confused on the unit that was purchased most recently when doing a lookup, losing sight of some detail.

Sure enough, the A6 that it is reporting is the other one (that is also hidden/out of view) that I am connecting through.  I recently upgraded/changed it from another hub, but was still thinking it was the older one because I never see it.

Anyways, apologies for the confusion.  I *greatly* appreciate you taking the time and putting up with my nags here.  Hopefully, this will be the last time you'll ever hear from me. :P

Finally, I will say that the UI did add to the confusion.  While it says "host" ... that is not entirely accurate or not accurate at all.  It's the *client* that is currently connected to the host.

So that added to my confusion and only made things worse.  If it had said "this is your currently connected IP" I might have caught that sooner.  But maybe not. :P

Anyways, thank you again for helping out, and for putting up with situations like these.

Recommended Solution
Options
9 Reply
Re:Tracking Down IP Address
2022-03-29 11:34:19

@TPLDem OK I see the `Archer_A6` in the Security -> Access Control -> Online Devices list.  It is grayed out and cannot be blocked.

So it appears this is an expected entry?  Why is the archer c1200 connecting to itself?  And in a wireless way?  Seems really weird.

Options
2022-03-30 06:42:47

@TPLDem 

So your router is labeled Archer C1200, while you could find an "Archer_A6" in its DHCP Client list? Can I have the screenshot?

Have you ever connected any other routers or APs to the network? 

You can also check with the MAC address of that "Archer_A6" to find out what is it, you can confirm it with MAC Address Lookup.

Options
2022-03-30 07:59:28

@Kevin_Z You understand that correctly.  It is connected wirelessly and I cannot select it or block it in my Access Control list:

c3f72a76740142d58d5f54b7a8472de5

>  You can also check with the MAC address of that "Archer_A6" to find out what is it, you can confirm it with MAC Address Lookup.

I do see that @Kevin_Z but I am unsure of the request you are making.  The MAC address does not match anything on the router.

I do have a RE200 & RE305 on the network but those are accounted for in the list (and can be blocked).  I only have one C1200 router and it is the one that is listed here.  I am not sure why it is listed itself as connected wirelessly, and find it odd that it is listing itself at all.

Options
2022-03-31 13:26:33

Hi @Kevin_Z thank you for any further assistance you can provide.  I hope you can understand that I am feeling a little concerned here.  Hoping this is just a bug. :P

Note that if I turn on IP Statistic, the IP address assigned to the `Archer_6` is consuming MBs of data as opposed to KBs of other connections.

Options
2022-04-01 07:04:11

Hello @Kevin_Z (or anyone else from TP-Link) any further suggestions/input would be appreciated.  Could this be a problem with the latest firmware?

Options
2022-04-01 08:17:30

Ah @Kevin_Z I did not see your private message until now, asking for the MAC to see what device it is.  Can you go a little more detail on how you are finding this out?  If it's possible to find a device based on MAC I would very much be interested in learning this.  Thank you for any further/continued assistance.

Options
2022-04-01 10:48:53

TPLDem wrote

Ah @Kevin_Z I did not see your private message until now, asking for the MAC to see what device it is.  Can you go a little more detail on how you are finding this out?  If it's possible to find a device based on MAC I would very much be interested in learning this.  Thank you for any further/continued assistance.

@TPLDem You can google "OUI lookup" or "MAC address lookup", then enter the MAC address to find it out.

It seems I cannot find a device based on the MAC address you provided via private MAC address, so I guess that would be a virtual MAC address. You can determine whether there is an Archer A6 connecting to your network by removing the two range extenders, then check if it is still displaying on the router Online device list. If no, then I would suggest changing the wireless password for your network to avoid someone else connecting to your network through the extender.

Options
2022-04-01 14:21:03

@Kevin_Z Thank you for the information it is appreciated.  I had no idea there was a registry of MAC addresses, so that makes sense now.

As for our mysterious IP address, why does it appear as the "host" address?  As in the screenshot I provided you earlier, it cannot be removed.  Further, when I attempt to block it in access control direction, I get the following result:

5f6a52c7cced448c810545e494dfcffb

Why is it saying it is the host if you are thinking it could be an intruder?

Options
Re:Tracking Down IP Address-Solution
2022-04-01 14:33:58 - last edited 2022-04-01 14:34:15

LOL @Kevin_Z I apologize but after further digging, I do have another C1200!!!  UGH, it has been that kind of week.  Everything that is anything has been on fire this past week and I got confused on the unit that was purchased most recently when doing a lookup, losing sight of some detail.

Sure enough, the A6 that it is reporting is the other one (that is also hidden/out of view) that I am connecting through.  I recently upgraded/changed it from another hub, but was still thinking it was the older one because I never see it.

Anyways, apologies for the confusion.  I *greatly* appreciate you taking the time and putting up with my nags here.  Hopefully, this will be the last time you'll ever hear from me. :P

Finally, I will say that the UI did add to the confusion.  While it says "host" ... that is not entirely accurate or not accurate at all.  It's the *client* that is currently connected to the host.

So that added to my confusion and only made things worse.  If it had said "this is your currently connected IP" I might have caught that sooner.  But maybe not. :P

Anyways, thank you again for helping out, and for putting up with situations like these.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 531

Replies: 9

Related Articles