Large file transfer rate very low for ethernet devices (FYI only)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-04-01 14:57:57
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

FYI - I have a 3 M5 router mesh that has been in operation for a little over a year. I have an 8-port 1 gbs switch connected via ethernet cable to my main mesh router with 6 devices connected to the switch via CAT 5. I frequently have need to transfer very large (over 1 GB) files to my ethernet connected NAS. Recently, I noticed a substantial drop in the transfer  rate of the large files (down to abt. 355 kbps), small file transfer was still good. The problem only affected the CAT 5 connected devices, WiFi remained good. Commonly, for Windows 10 devices, this is a setting in the properties of the network adaptor(s) and can possibly be resolved by disabling the "large send offload" settings of the device, however, the NAS has no such settings and the problem occurred with multiple PCs attempting to transfer files. Eventually, I tracked the problem down to my main M5 router. Apparently, something went south in the nic for the device causing it to not handle larger files properly. I swapped the defective M5 with one of the mesh that had no ethernet connections. This solved my problem as the WiFi connectivity of the defective M5 remained good.

Maybe someone can be helped with this post.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Large file transfer rate very low for ethernet devices (FYI only)
2022-04-02 08:15:34

@Molaker 

Thank you very much for the feedback.

Do you mean after changing a different unit as the main Deco, with the same network layout the transfer speed among Ethernet-connected devices has been fixed?

Options
2022-04-02 15:40:32

@David-TP 

Yes. The main Deco was connected to the 1 gbps switch via CAT5 cable. The new main Deco now has the Ethernet CAT5 cable connection. I'm not sure how this configuration would affect devices connected to the same switch on the same sub-net, but it seems to have. I have 2 Synology NAS devices on the same switch with a Windows 10 tower also connected to this switch. Attempting a large file transfer either by using the tower or by using my WiFi connected laptop resulted in a transfer rate of 355 bps max. Switching Deco routers as the main router (including the CAT5 connection) seems to have fixed the problem.

Since traffic between devices on the same Ethernet switch should not be affected, about the only thing I can think of might be an internal short between one of the CAT5 twisted pairs that could affect the entire sub-net. If it weren't such a PITA, I'd switch them back to see if the problem returned. But, I don't need the downtime right now. FYI- the transfer rate is still normal (mb range) this morning.

Options
2022-04-06 15:21:04

@Molaker  The problem remains cured. One of the days I might switch routers back to original configuration to verify, but not now.

Options