Connecting to Nord VPN using OpenVPN

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-04-03 01:52:01 - last edited 2022-04-07 03:47:03
Model: Archer AX20  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

If you believe the documentation on NordVPN's website, TP-Link routers are incompatible with thier service. However, I was able to do this in April 2022 with an Archer AX20 router, and found it quite straight forward to set up.

Steps below:

1.   Navigate to (nordvpn dot com)/servers/tools/

2.   Find and select the server you'd like to connect through and expand the "Show available protocols" section

3.   Download the OpenVPN TCP file

4.   Navigate to (my dot nordaccount dot com)/dashboard/nordvpn

5.   Find and copy your username and password from the Service Credentials section

6.   Log into your router by navigating to it's IP address, or via http://tplinkwifi.net/

7.   Navigate to Advanced>VPN Client

8.   Enable VPN and Save

9.   Under "Server List", press ”Add"

10. Enter a name under "Description" (I used the name of the country I was connecting through)

11. Under "VPN Type", select OpenVPN

12. Paste the username and password you copied earlier into the appropriate fields

13. Upload the config file you downloaded earlier

14. Save

15. Repeat the previous steps for any additional servers you'd like to be able to connect through

16. Under "Device List", select all devices that you would like to connect through the VPN, when enabled

17. Under "Server List", use the "Enable" toggles to connect and disconnect from specific VPNs

Hope that's useful to someone else.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Connecting to Nord VPN using OpenVPN-Solution
2022-04-07 03:46:54 - last edited 2022-04-07 03:47:03

Hello @MattDoubleYou, thank you for posting on the TP-Link Community and share the Nord VPN configuration with the community.

Yes, we do have some AX series routers that support the VPN Client feature you are describing, you can find here below that we have an open thread to inform our users what are they:

Routers Supporting VPN Client

Recommended Solution
Options
1 Reply
Re:Connecting to Nord VPN using OpenVPN-Solution
2022-04-07 03:46:54 - last edited 2022-04-07 03:47:03

Hello @MattDoubleYou, thank you for posting on the TP-Link Community and share the Nord VPN configuration with the community.

Yes, we do have some AX series routers that support the VPN Client feature you are describing, you can find here below that we have an open thread to inform our users what are they:

Routers Supporting VPN Client

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 5

Views: 3401

Replies: 1

Related Articles