Cannot connect to RE450 Range Extender to change settings

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-04-07 13:21:39 - last edited 2022-04-11 07:05:49
Model: RE450  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

As the subject states, I cannot connect to my RE450 settings via computer or any other device other than the Tether app on my iPhone, which doesn't have the options that I need. I have my RE450 setup in WAP mode and it is working. There is Internet connection and I can access the Internet through it when I connect to either the 2.4 or 5GHz networks. However, I cannot connect to the device via my computer. I've tried from varioous computers, which are connected to my network via ethernet, and I've tried via a laptop connected to the wireless networks created by my RE450. Nothing works. I've tried 192.168.0.254, which is what the instructions say should be the ip address. I've tried tplinrepeater dot net, and all that brings up is an instruction page telling me to use the stupid Tether app that won't allow me to do more than the basics. How do I access setup for this device from a computer? I need to change the network security. I keep getting warnings that my extended network has weak security and I need to change it, but I can't do anything.

Any ideas?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Cannot connect to RE450 Range Extender to change settings-Solution
2022-04-07 13:59:31 - last edited 2022-04-11 07:05:49

OK, I finally figured it out. My router had the device to a different ip, so that's why I wasn't able to connect to it using the factory provided ip address. Once I figured that out, I was able to login and check the encryption settings. Security was set to WPA/WPA2 - Personal, but Encryption was set to Auto and was automatically selecting TKIP. I forced both networks to AES and all is good.

Thanks. Hopefully, this may help someone else in the future.

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Cannot connect to RE450 Range Extender to change settings-Solution
2022-04-07 13:59:31 - last edited 2022-04-11 07:05:49

OK, I finally figured it out. My router had the device to a different ip, so that's why I wasn't able to connect to it using the factory provided ip address. Once I figured that out, I was able to login and check the encryption settings. Security was set to WPA/WPA2 - Personal, but Encryption was set to Auto and was automatically selecting TKIP. I forced both networks to AES and all is good.

Thanks. Hopefully, this may help someone else in the future.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Cannot connect to RE450 Range Extender to change settings
2022-04-11 07:16:04 - last edited 2022-04-11 07:16:41

@bfollowell 

Nice sharing! It's good to know you were able to use RE's new IP address to log in its web page finally.

If ' www.tplinkrepeater.net ' does not work, logging in using RE's IP address is good step, that IP address could be found on router client list and I'd leave a related FAQ  that may help users who have the similar concern. 

How to use my Range Extender properly if your range extender is configured correctly?

Thank you for the sharing!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 524

Replies: 2