Smart Connect causing disconnects for VPN and Large downloads

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-04-08 13:49:27
Model: Archer AX21  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.1.5 Build 20211231 rel.73898(5553)

I've been having frequent VPN disconnects and large files failing to download.  Simple ICMP traffic has no packet loss.  Not seeing it with normal surfing but anything with a long term session will drop.  Started turning features off one at a time and narrowed it down to "Smart Connect".  As soon as that was disabled everything was stable.  No disconnects.

I also found during this troubleshooting that with WMM off my Apple devices would not connect to Wifi and neither would my Ring cameras.

Firmware Version: 2.1.5 Build 20211231 rel.73898(5553)
Hardware Version: Archer AX21 v2.0

Options
2 Reply
Re:Smart Connect causing disconnects for VPN and Large downloads
2022-04-11 05:46:47

@ericp502 

Regarding the VPN disconnect and download issue, can I know how you use the VPN? Are you setting up the VPN Client feature on the AX21 as described here? Is the internet connection on the AX21 stable if you are not connecting to the VPN server? Which device are you running the VPN connection on, is it a computer or phone? Does it connect to the 5G or 2.4G network when the VPN disconnects? When you connect a device to the router, Smart Connect will automatically identify the best available channel and assign the device to it. It allows the router to automatically choose the most efficient device so that every device is able to reach its full potential. Which network does it connect after you disable the Smart Connect?

Regarding the WMM concern, can I know the reason why you want to disable the WMM on the router? WMM function can guarantee the packets with high-priority messages are transmitted preferentially. Remember that WMM is a subset of the IEEE 802.11e standard, which means you will get the link speed of 54 Mbps when it is disabled. It is strongly recommended to enable this function.

Options
Re:Smart Connect causing disconnects for VPN and Large downloads
2022-04-13 16:01:32

@ericp502 

The VPN I'm talking about was on an host system.  Software Anyconnect VPN.  Anytime large data was being downloaded via VPN it would disconnect.  As soon as I disabled Smart Connect that issue was resolved.  I have WMM enabled but just found the issue where some devices couldn't connect with WMM disabled through troubleshooting the VPN issue.  I agree WMM is good but all devices should still work with WMM disabled.  

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 470

Replies: 2