Deco w7200 Sucks So Bad (Crashes multiple times per day)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-04-08 21:06:09 - last edited 2022-05-25 18:48:48
Model: Deco  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.4 Build 20210519 Rel. 36502

I had an Asus Router that worked flawless. Never crashed, we never lost internet. Well, maybe it would crash once per year at most. The Deco w7200, which doesn't show up as a Model Option by the way, crashes constantly. Multiple times per day.

It's a full crash. I have the Main Deco running to a TP-Link switch, which runs to my computer, and while I can connect to the Deco platform by direct IP when the Deco is up, it is entirely off when it crashes and the only fix is unplug.

Right now, the w7200 Deco is hands down the worst Wifi Router I've ever owned. The support is horrible -- I guess those Critical Logs don't really matter -- as TP Link tried to blame my internet, which of course was not true.

Has anyone else had issues? It is so intermittent. We can go 3 days with a green light, and then have 8 crashes in a single day. But so far I think 3 days is our longest run without a full crash.

Seeking any help on making the Main Deco stable.

All feedback appreciated

Ryan

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Deco w7200 Sucks So Bad (Crashes multiple times per day)-Solution
2022-05-25 18:45:48 - last edited 2022-05-25 18:48:48

@David-TP I'll search for the ticket. I eventually bought the ASUS Mesh system and replaced in my house a couple days back.

Internet has been perfect, thanks to ASUS! Not that I needed confirmation, but the Decos are crap.

As a positive, my wife's office saw about an 8mbit/s speed reduction on the swap; small and nominal. But she has internet now, which should be the primary objective of these things.

So no, it wasn't my internet, it was the Decos.

I still will need support for the Decos, as I moved them to a rental unit I have. I'm hoping only having a few connections won't tax them as much. Having 30 connections is just more than they can handle I think. I know they claim to be rated for 150, but they also claim to be routers, which is far from true.

Also, what's the point of the logs? I submit them and they are worthless.

Solution to this thread: BUY An ASUS and avoid Deco

Recommended Solution
Options
18 Reply
Re:Deco w7200 Sucks So Bad (Crashes multiple times per day)
2022-04-08 21:11:55
Also, when it crashes it does not automatically reboot. It has to be unplugged to fix.
Options
2022-04-12 08:52:13

@flabbybuns 

Options
2022-04-12 09:05:23

@flabbybuns 

Sorry for the delay.

Could you please help me check some basic information so that I could forward your case to the senior engineers:

1. May I know who is your internet service provider and how about the model number of your ISP cable modem?

Could you please send an email to support.forum@tp-link.com with the following information:

1. A screenshot of the IPV4 settings when Deco W7200 is offline and the LED turned red.

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Options
2022-04-12 22:02:52 - last edited 2022-04-12 22:04:07

I've actually been talking to TP-Link Support and they had the same questions.

ISP: Spectrum

Cable Modem is Arris Surfboard SB6183

When the Main Deco has a red light, it is unresponsive to IP calls to dashboard, as it is fully crashed. So I can't get any settings off of it. The issue is not the internet however. As I've never had issues from the Modem.

Possible Solution: My Main Deco ran Ethernet to a switch, which ran ethernet to a number of local devices. One ethernet ran 150ft to a linksys wifi router in a backhouse with it's own wifi SSIDs for a separate wifi network. This looks to be freaking out the Main Deco. Once we removed the remote linksys wifi router we have been online ever since. We therefore moved the satellite w7200 deco to the backhouse and connected that to the ethernet cable instead. It puts the backhouse on the same SSIDs, but was the only fix we could consider. So far the Main Deco hasn't crashed.

There are some intermittent issues with our Roku devices connected to the Main Deco wifi, where it thinks internet has gone out very quick, but nothing like a full crash.

Options
2022-04-13 03:43:16

@flabbybuns 

Thank you very much for the update.

Is your network layout similar to this one:

66b4a31f59a34425843c4f192a00957a

I have reported your case to the senior engineers and they wish to know more about your case.

So later when you are available, I wonder whether you are willing to cooperate with us to reproduce the same issue by plugging the Linksys router back.

if yes, here are some details we wish to get:

1 Please check the LED lights on the main Deco W7200 whether it is solid red or flashing red.

2. Please help me save a picture of the screenshot of IPV4 settings on the Deco APP>More>Advanced when Deco is red.

3. In the initial post you mentioned that when the Deco was crashed, it is unable to log into the web UI on the laptop so I wonder if that is still the case?

--if not and you are able to access the web UI, I hope you could save a copy of the system log to us.

Thank you very much and best regards.

For the Roku devices, I would suggest turning off the  "Mesh technology" for it on the Deco APP:

0efec2ab6bba4c90b48c0876e11ab29d

Options
2022-04-13 04:06:52

@David-TP 

Yes, you're schematic is on point.

When it crashes, it is solid Red.

2. When I try to check at time of going red, I usually use my PC that is networked in through the switch, but the connection becomes impossible. I hadn't considered using the app.

3. Yes, every time a solid red light showed I could not access the dashboard.

So the next step for testing, reconnect the linksys router, when the Deco crashes, try to see what Deco APP>More>Advanced  shows?

Options
2022-04-13 06:29:56

@flabbybuns 

So the next step for testing, reconnect the linksys router, when the Deco crashes, try to see what Deco APP>More>Advanced  shows?

Yes, save the picture of the IPV4 settings under Deco APP>More>Advanced

And as for the system log, you could access the web UI via a wireless connection of Deco on the laptop and save the log file.

Since I believe the reason why Ethernet connection from PC is not working is that Deco could not obtain IPV4 address from Arris modem and both ports are recognized as "WAN" ports.

Thank you.

Best regards.

Options
2022-04-13 06:50:58 - last edited 2022-04-13 06:53:04

@David-TP 

Alright, I will try that.

I'm still not sure how we factor the Arris modem in, since the issue was resolved (so far at least) by removing a Linksys router from the switch.

Also, on the hard crash it seems to lose the log files, and it temporarily resorts to thinking the year is 1969. Here is one such log file I was able to recover after a restart from crash (unplug/plug). I would have uploaded it but the log or txt file failed to upload. Also, when it crashes and the red light appers, I cannot connect to it directly by ethernet from computer, nor can I connect by Wifi (so maybe the app won't work?), as all our smart home features go offline and our alarm system has to resort to cellular backup (typically how we first discover the Main Deco crashed again)

I tried uploading the log file but it gets rejected. It is a text file. I tried changing back to log file and it rejected that as upload too. (nevermind, came back and edited by converting to a pdf file)

File:
logfile.pdfDownload
Options
2022-04-13 11:53:30

@flabbybuns 

Thank you and I have forwarded the logs to the engineers and also created a support ticket for you.

Please also check the email for further assistance.

Best regards.

Options
2022-05-17 17:37:15 - last edited 2022-05-17 17:38:39

Hey guys, I never got a ticket email, and I've been searching for it. In short, my conclusion is that I got a Lemon deco and was hoping for a replacement shipped out. There is no way this thing can be this bad without being broken. I have had one minor improvement. Now when the red light comes on and thinks there is no internet -- of course, there is -- I can actually still connect by IP to the Deco, so it hasn't crashed yet. I can then reboot by IP, and it starts back up.... only to crash within a minute or two of getting the green light. Is there any beta firmware updates, as I've never had wifi hardware as bad as this. It has to be a lemon, that's my only remaining theory. Can I get a replacement? I'd send logs, but after every crash they claim to be from 1969.

Also, according to my Home Security, it had to use cellular backup once (1 time) in 2021 due to a power outtage. With the Deco, it has used celular backup 168 times. That's how little this thing can remain online.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 1383

Replies: 18