Deco w7200 Sucks So Bad (Crashes multiple times per day)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco w7200 Sucks So Bad (Crashes multiple times per day)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
18 Reply
Re:Deco w7200 Sucks So Bad (Crashes multiple times per day)
2022-05-17 17:43:24
also, if I'm slow to respond, assume it's because I'm constantly rebooting my deco to get internet back....
Options
2022-05-17 17:58:16

@David-TP here are two logs that have been downloaded after crashing. these help at all?

File:
log-1.pdfDownload
Options
2022-05-18 18:53:03

@David-TP pretty strong day today. went down a number of times -- this is fantastic for a Deco -- but was able to recover and get back to a green light on its own; which it normally can't do without unplugging it.

Here is the log file from the last 11 hours. 98 pages of errors.

Hoping we can get a fix.

I've been 1-starring every deco model on amazon to warn others.

File:
log-2022-05-18.pdfDownload
Options
2022-05-20 17:36:32 - last edited 2022-05-20 19:37:50

@flabbybuns These things definitely aren't ready for prime time. (Or any time really)

I posted yesterday about how the MAC addresses printed on the labels for my W3600's are wrong: (Important because my WISP has me register the MAC with them BEFORE I can connect a new router)

https://community.tp-link.com/us/home/forum/topic/534956

Once I figured out the MAC issue (had to add +1 to the last hex digit) and updated to the latest firmware I figured I was good to go, but I woke up this morning to no internet, red light.

Rebooted and it came back, but I was having issues streaming my morning music from YouTube.

Unplugged the Deco and plugged my old D-Link back in and everything was fine.

I'm not wasting time being a beta tester, this is going back to Home Depot and I'm getting a competing mesh setup.

Options
2022-05-23 07:04:48

@flabbybuns 

Hi, Thank you very much for your time and patience.

I see you mentioned on the community that you have never received any email from us and, maybe it was blocked by the firewall.

And the ticket ID is TKID220412693 if it helps.

Since the warranty also needs to be done via email, I have provided my email address in the private message and maybe you could try to send me an email with the needed information.

Thanks a lot.

Best regards.

Options
2022-05-23 07:27:38

@eburnside 

Hi, nice to see you again.

The MAC address printed on the label is the LAN MAC address of Deco and it is not wrong. The WAN MAC address(or The MAC address needed for ISP) on the Deco is editable and it could be the same as Label MAC or changed to the MAC address of your old router.

For the issue "woke up this morning to no internet, red light. Rebooted and it came back, but I was having issues streaming my morning music from YouTube." It is not related to the MAC address issue, more like something related to MTU and if you need further assistance, It would be highly appreciated if you could reach our local support team.

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Options
2022-05-23 18:19:57

@David-TP 

The MAC address is wrong.

I just bought a replacement mesh solution from a competing provider. Plugged the MAC address from the bottom of the units into our DHCP server and like magic it just worked. Publishing the MAC of the LAN on the bottom is NOT the external ID the device identifies itself as to a DHCP server, which is the entire purpose of printing it on the lablel. 

Correct, the stability issue was unrelated. My WAN is a WISP with a >3 mile link, so it is more likely WAN instability. Most routers handle this fine but the Deco tries to auto-detect the WAN/LAN ports so when the WISP has an interference issue, the Deco craps itself and doesn't recover.  Fixed WAN/LAN ports would solve the issue I suspect.

Competing mesh product I swapped my Deco for had proper labels on the bottom so setup was smooth and easy, and has been stable since deployment several days ago.

Take from this what you will.  The Deco has potential, but is not ready for prime time.

Cheers

Options
Re:Deco w7200 Sucks So Bad (Crashes multiple times per day)-Solution
2022-05-25 18:45:48 - last edited 2022-05-25 18:48:48

@David-TP I'll search for the ticket. I eventually bought the ASUS Mesh system and replaced in my house a couple days back.

Internet has been perfect, thanks to ASUS! Not that I needed confirmation, but the Decos are crap.

As a positive, my wife's office saw about an 8mbit/s speed reduction on the swap; small and nominal. But she has internet now, which should be the primary objective of these things.

So no, it wasn't my internet, it was the Decos.

I still will need support for the Decos, as I moved them to a rental unit I have. I'm hoping only having a few connections won't tax them as much. Having 30 connections is just more than they can handle I think. I know they claim to be rated for 150, but they also claim to be routers, which is far from true.

Also, what's the point of the logs? I submit them and they are worthless.

Solution to this thread: BUY An ASUS and avoid Deco

Recommended Solution
Options