Deco M5 - no internet through Ethernet!

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-04-27 23:19:34 - last edited 2022-05-06 06:19:32
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.5.7

So I've been enjoying the wireless capabilities of the my new mesh system- it works great - no more dead spots!  However, I can't get my PC to connect to the internet via the Ethernet port on the satellite Deco unit. 
the setup is Modem to main deco then Ethernet connected to satellite deco. I'm trying to connect my PC to the satellite unit. 
I called tech support, ran through all the troubleshooting and their response was to try and hook another device to the Ethernet. I don't have another wired device to try!!! My laptop doesn't have an Ethernet port. Their reasoning was to see what IP address is assigned to the device. Well I don't have a way to do that reasonably. 

I've confirmed my PC is receiving an IP address and can even ping Google servers successfully. PC is set to DHCP and both units are in default "router" mode. I tried 2 other Ethernet cables - I know the one I'm using is good - I even checked it with my cat6 tester!

this PC worked perfectly on the old network via ethernet and I need this PC for remote work!!!

Any thoughts or tips?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Deco M5 - no internet through Ethernet!-Solution
2022-04-29 23:33:47 - last edited 2022-05-06 06:19:32

@jacobhatfield87 

I fixed it! I renewed the IP on my PC and now it's working. I noticed the IP assigned to my PC was out of range of the IPs the deco was unsing. 
thank you everyone for your help!

Recommended Solution
Options
7 Reply
Re:Deco M5 - no internet through Ethernet!
2022-04-28 03:56:43

@jacobhatfield87 

Hi, welcome to the community.

Here are some suggestions for you:

1. please check there is no device under blacklist.

2. the IPTV VLAN is not enabled on the satellite unit.---please go to Deco APP>More>Advanced>IPTV/VLAN

3. I see you mentioned PC is set to DHCP and able to ping google, are you able to ping the LAN IP of Deco as well---would it be possible to share some pictures with us?

By the way, what is the model number of your laptop?

and Is your laptop also capable of wireless connection?

Best regards.

Options
2022-04-28 14:15:10

@David-TP 

Thank you for your response.  

1. There's nothing blacklisted

2. IPTV is not enabled - I don't know why you're talking about a satellite unit.  

3. I will try pinging the deco IP and taking a picture of the results.

Regarding my laptop - it's a Dell Inspiron 15-7579 and its only means of connecting to the internet is via WiFi.  I was able to connect it to the wireless network, if that's what you're asking. I know there are adapters that would allow me to plug in via ethernet - I'm not interested in purchasing an adapter just to debug the issues I'm having on another device.  My desktop that needs to connect via ethernet is my concern.

I tried a few other things last night:  I tried switching the ethernet ports on the satellite unit - no change.  I tried swapping the deco units (made a completely new mesh network) - no change.  I even tried only using one deco unit and plugging my PC into both of the ports - no change.  

This really doesn't make sense.  

Options
2022-04-28 14:37:24

@jacobhatfield87 

Clarification - Satellite

All Deco Mesh nodes, other than the primary node, are referred to as "satellite" mesh nodes.  That is what the respondent is referring to when they say "satellite" .

I believe that you may get more pointed responses, if you more clearly define exactly how your network devices are configured and connected 

Options
2022-04-28 16:17:35

@DAServices 

I'm clearly not an expert but will provide all I can think of. If there are specifics missing, I need to know what those are. 

I have 2 M5 units in router mode. The satellite unit is connected via Ethernet to the primary unit. 
The wireless network works perfectly on both units. 
I'm trying to connect my desktop PC (Windows 10) via Ethernet to the satellite unit. The PC is receiving an IP address and I'm able to ping Google servers. However, I'm not able to access the internet. My PC sees it's connected to a network but isn't able to access the internet. Using the windows network troubleshooter, is says invalid IP. 

Options
2022-04-29 01:27:51

@jacobhatfield87 

Thanks for the update.

Have you run the ping test to Deco and can I have the ping result?

Could you please also send me a picture of the IP settings on the windows desktop?

838How to find IP address on your devices?838

So far, everything seemed normal from this desktop PC to Deco and other mobile clients also work fine, and I still wish you could fetch another wired client to do a comparison test.

In the beginning, I see you mentioned windows desktop worked with the old network, do you still keep the old router?

Or Is it possible for you to temporarily disconnect the main Deco and connect the desktop to the cable modem directly, and check whether the desktop could get internet service?

best regards.

Options
2022-04-29 23:14:09

@David-TP 

I've tried pinging the deco unit - it says "transmit failed. General failure". 
Here's the desktop IP settings:0b708e4dc97e4829846c515592057fd3 

I do still have the old router. 
I'm unable to plug devices directly into the modem, due to the configuration of my ISPs modem. So, that won't work unfortunately. 

Options
Re:Deco M5 - no internet through Ethernet!-Solution
2022-04-29 23:33:47 - last edited 2022-05-06 06:19:32

@jacobhatfield87 

I fixed it! I renewed the IP on my PC and now it's working. I noticed the IP assigned to my PC was out of range of the IPs the deco was unsing. 
thank you everyone for your help!

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 575

Replies: 7

Related Articles