Q's re: Xfinity, Motorola MB8611, Deco X60 (x2), + TPLink 16-port switch.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-05-03 13:57:49
Model: Deco X60  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: Latest, just downloaded

Hi folks,

I'm just setting up my home network for the first time, in a new house.  10 rooms are wired with CAT6A cable to the basement where the equipment is located.
I've already got Xfinity successfully installed and operating, and I'm using my own modem: Motorola MB8611.  This works. 

Initially the connection looked like this:
Xfinity --> Modem --> Switch --> 10 wired locations.

When I connected my laptop using 2 different wired connections to the TPLINK switch, I had great connectivity.

I then downloaded the DECO app to my phone.

I then added the first DECO mesh router wired directly to the TPLINK switch, and attempted to install the router via my phone, and this didn't work.   
Xfinity --> Modem --> Switch --> DECO. 
No internet.

Then, I deleted that mesh router from my app, and wired things this way:
Xfinity --> Modem --> DECO --> Switch --> 10 wired rooms. 
When I then added the mesh router to my system using my phone Deco app, this gave us wireless internet to all our wireless devices.  Hooray!

But now the wired devices aren't getting internet connectivity.  We may have had wired connections for a little while, and then they couldn't find the internet.  Very odd.  

What am I missing, and/or doing wrong?

MANY thanks in advance!

Options
3 Reply
Re:Q's re: Xfinity, Motorola MB8611, Deco X60 (x2), + TPLink 16-port switch.
2022-05-06 07:54:50

@ohio-guy welcome to the community.

May I know the model number of this TP-Link switch?

I tend to think it might be related to the "Loop protection" on the switch if it is a managed one.

best regards.

Options
2022-05-10 14:11:36

Hi @David-TP,

Thanks for your reply. 

The model on the TP-Link Switch is:
TL-SG116 (UN) V1.6

Options
2022-05-13 19:33:28

@David-TP 

A further follow-up;  I called in to TP-Link customer service and spoke with someone.  Based on the tests we ran, she's recommending they send out a replacement of my TP-Link Switch.  So we'll see how that goes.

We tested swapping the ethernet cables going into the DECO unit (which works fine).  That didn't change the results.
We tested connecting my laptop directly to the DECO.  That worked.  Not the DECO unit.
We tested connecting my laptop back into the switch but in different ports.  Didn't work.
We tested removing the switch from the DECO unit, and then connecting two PCs wired to the switch, and setting the IP addresses, and they couldn't ping each other successfully through the switch.
Looks likely at present that the switch is not working well.  As to why...  I have no further data.

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 537

Replies: 3