Deco X55 + Firewalla + Guest network VLAN + Unmanaged switches?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-05-23 17:38:06

Currently have five Deco X55 units, four of which are using ethernet backhaul, and one that is wireless backhaul (out in the garage where I didn't think to run a cable when we built the house!).

I would like to switch the Deco to Access Point mode and use a Firewalla Gold for DHCP and other network features.

The only issue that I am unsure about is the effect this will have on the guest wifi network.

In theory, the Decos will tag the guest wifi to whatever vlan ID I tell it to, so it should work. The problem is, they are connected via unmanaged switches that will not care about the vlan id. However, the "main" Deco would be directly attached to the Firewalla. So I am hoping everything would work properly -- meaning that the guest wifi would remain on its own vlan, isolated from the rest of the network, which is basically untagged.

Does anyone have any suggestions or experience or caveats for me with such a configuration? Is this even possible?

Options
2 Reply
Re:Deco X55 + Firewalla + Guest network VLAN + Unmanaged switches?
2022-05-24 03:32:58

@oblbmoney 

Welcome to the community.

When Deco is on the Access point mode, the guest network and main network are no longer separated by VLAN tag anymore, and the guest devices could only access the gateway.

There will be a separate on/off switch where users could decide by themselves whether the guest network needs to be separated from the main network.

Best regards.

--------------------------

Deco X50-PoE is ready for your advice. If you are interested, please help us complete the following survey.

Deco X50-POE Survey

Options
Re:Deco X55 + Firewalla + Guest network VLAN + Unmanaged switches?
2022-05-27 04:08:02
But guest network isolation does not work in ap mode. I just tried this and clients on the guest network can ping all of the devices on the main network. What is the solution?
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1076

Replies: 2