My WiFi 6 pc always connects to slowest, far away deco unit every time.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-05-31 15:55:06 - last edited 2022-05-31 16:03:43
Model: Deco X20  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.12.5

I have a 2 piece Deco x20 mesh that works great.  No issues.  I added a Deco M5 downstairs so there could be internet in the back yard and over the hill.  This works great also.  Only problem is my PC, which is the only wifi 6 enabled device (and reason I got the x20 in the first place) connects to the M5 every time.  It is 3x further away and on a different floor.  My speed drops from 650mb/s to 80mb/s.  I have to reboot the M5 everytime I turn my PC on so it will connect to the x20 which is 10 feet away.  There has to be a way to force my PC to connect to wifi 6 only or block the M5 from connecting to my PC.  I have turned off mesh for my PC in the app and tried turning off beam foward.  Thanks in advance for the help!!

Options
4 Reply
Re:My WiFi 6 pc always connects to slowest, far away deco unit every time.
2022-06-01 11:03:45

@chris519117 

Hi, welcome to the community.

May I know the model number of your wireless PC?

Normally, the device itself would make the final decision to connect which AP and Deco will only provide a roaming suggestion.

Why my clients don't roam/connect to the nearest Deco node?

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

--------------------------

Deco X50-PoE is ready for your advice. If you are interested, please help us complete the following survey.

Deco X50-POE Survey

Options
2022-06-01 15:07:27

@David-TP 

Hello,

My motherboard is a GIGABYTE X570 I AORUS Pro Wi-Fi 6.  In the pic of the wifi 6 antenna, you can see in the backround where the Deco X20 is.  It doesnt connect to this one.  It connects to the one that is downstairs on the other side of the house.

Thanks!!

6b7395c2ebd44346bb6552c06b62bf74

Options
2022-06-02 02:29:41

@chris519117 

Thank you very much for the update.

I would like to forward your case to the senior engineers and please refer to the email for further assistance.

By the way, as for the model number, I see there are 2-pack Deco W3600(AX1800) under your TP-Link ID, not Deco X20 which is also AX1800, and could you please help me confirm the model number whether it is Deco W3600 or Deco X20?

Thank you in advance.

Best regards.

--------------------------

Deco X50-PoE is ready for your advice. If you are interested, please help us complete the following survey.

Deco X50-POE Survey

Options
2022-06-08 15:43:18

@David-TP I would recommend also checking the settings of your WiFi device itself on your PC. Go to Control Panel -> All Control Panel Items -> Network Connections and double click on your Wireless Card/Device, Then Properties -> Device -> Configure and you will see the following below. Once there I would check your Preferred Bank and below including Roaming Agressiveness & Transmit power. Change one at a time then disable/enable the wireless and see which one it connects to. This will rule out the PC. After doing this if it's still connecting to the other Mesh unit respond and I'll help you go through the settings on your Deco units to help mitigate this issue.

5bf5ca446f39448da7d2de69798bf510

Options