Switching off 5ghz brings everything down

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-06-09 20:29:45 - last edited 2022-06-10 13:54:35
Model: Deco X20  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.1.3

In order to add some IoT devices, my iPhone needs to be on a 2.4ghz network. Since I can't run separate SSIDs for 2.4 and 5 on the Deco, I tried turning off the 5ghz temporarily. The wifi SSID still showed, but my iPhone couldn't join the network and my iPad joined but had no internet connection. All my Apple Homekit hubs (Apple TVs and Homepod Minis) also went offline. It took almost an hour to get my Homekit stuff back online. Normally I'd blame this issue on the Homekit hubs not switching over to the 2.4ghz wifi quickly, but my iPhone and iPad couldn't successfully join the 2.4ghz side even though I was here to force it manually. It's like there was no 2.4ghz wifi. 

Last week I tried to set up a 2.4ghz only guest wifi, but that also brought everything down. Do I need to reboot the X20s to get 2.4ghz to work?

EDIT: Let me add here that the 2.4ghz band was and is working. My existing IoT devices are connected. It's only turning off the 5ghz band that blows things up. When I tried to create a 2.4ghz Guest SSID, I allowed it access to the same network as the usual SSID. I figured I had to do this to bring up the IoT devices in that IP range. But creating that SSID knocked all the Homekit hubs for a loop. TP-Link really needs to let users name the two wifi bands different names. I don't know why this isn't the default when other wifi routers have been doing it for years.

Options
5 Reply
Re:Switching off 5ghz brings everything down
2022-06-13 18:04:42 - last edited 2022-06-13 18:33:16

Today I bit the bullet and turned off the 5ghz wifi so I could set up some new IoT devices using the 2.4ghz side. As expected, all the Homekit devices went offline. I went around and power cycled the Homekit hubs and for a while they were up. I added the new IoT devices successfully. But then, without changing anything, everything started going unresponsive. Then I found it wasn't just Homekit. Everything connected to wifi was offline, including my Deco app. I the Deco app, but it took a long time before the Decos showed up as connected. But I still have no internet connection at all on wifi from any device. All my Decos are showing traffic up and down, but there is no internet access from the wifi. Wired access is fine.

I can't reach the Decos thorugh my app on wifi now, so I had to go to LTE. I can reach them through that network. My Garage node has a very week signal to the Living Room node and only shows 5ghz. How is that possible when I have the 5ghz network shut off? Do the Decos use 5ghz for backhaul regardless of the setting?

Why does simply turning off the 5ghz band wreak such havoc with the Decos and everything connected to them?

Options
2022-06-13 22:41:47

As an update here, I turned 5ghz back on and everything came back up within minutes. My iPhone and iPad connected right away and my Homekit hubs all reconnected. Same with all the cameras I have, even though most of them are 2.4ghz only.

I still have a few sensors I need to get into the system, but I'm not sure it's worth that hassle again. Please, TP-Link, update the firmware on Decos so users can have separate SSIDs for 2.4 and 5ghz.

Options
2022-07-04 03:30:40

This is still an ongoing issue. Is TP-Link just going to ignore this? I still cannot just turn off the 5ghz network without the entire system going down. Once 5ghz is turned off, nothing can connect to the SSID. I even set up a 2.4ghz only guest SSID and it shows as working in the Deco app, yet no device can connect to it. My iPhone simple says "Cannot connect to <SSID>." It seems 2.4ghz only just does not work with my Decos. This makes them basically useless to me. These are not inexpensive devices and I can't return them at this point. Please address this issue.

Options
2022-07-04 11:12:02

@Msix 

Thank you very much for the details.

Have you tried to change a different Deco X20 as the main unit?

How to Setup the Satellite Deco to be the Main Deco?

Could you please check the current wireless channel and channel width of the 2.4ghz via  WiFi analyzer?

There is a firmware for Deco X20 V2 which might help with the current issue and please check the private message to install the beta firmware.

Best regards.

Options
2022-07-04 14:52:56 - last edited 2022-07-04 15:03:50

@David-TP 

Hi David,

What is the Wifi Analyzer? I ran the wifi diagnostics, but that didn't produce any data about either band.

Mark

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 397

Replies: 5