failed WAN port

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

failed WAN port

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
failed WAN port
failed WAN port
2022-07-10 05:09:33 - last edited 2022-07-11 06:00:22
Tags: #WAN port fault
Model: Archer AX21  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.0.3

I've had this about a month, everything was good, then no more internet. Went about checking modem, cable, and eventually put another router in place of the AX21, same modem and cable, and the internet was back on, just like that. I just now turned it on and logged in to get the firmware i.d., it still works, just doesn't work through the WAN port...

Options
8 Reply
Re:failed WAN port
2022-07-11 03:17:33 - last edited 2022-07-11 06:00:22

Hello @Refractory 

In order to get clarity and to assist you accordingly, please reply with the answers to the questions below:

1. Is there still a LED light for the WAN/Internet port? If possible, we suggest trying with another CAT 5E/6 cable between the modem and the AX21 WAN.

2. If that doesn't help, please restore the AX21 to factory defaults, then check the WAN connectivity again. When logging into the web interface of the AX21, does it show the WAN port Unplugged?

3. Who is your ISP, and what kind of modem are you using?

If the WAN port is determined to be faulty, please contact the local tech support to be advertised further or help with the replacement:
https://www.tp-link.com/support/contact-technical-support/#Hotline-Support

Options
2022-07-11 05:59:40

@Kevin_Z  

thank you for the reply...

all the lights flash once at power on, the internet is orange, the others green...

after boot is complete the internet, (and the usb) are dark, the others green...(at the time, the wan port was connected to the modem with the same cable I am using right now)

after resetting, the initial setup step for confirming the wan port is connected status is "not connected"...(also connected at the time with the same cable using right now)

my isp is spectrum, I am using the supplied ES2251 modem (right now)...

Options
2022-07-13 13:13:30
Note: about a week before posting about my problem with the WAN port I had tried to register the router, but the serial number returns a fault... "Problems with product registration. Please check the product serial number and the region of purchase. If you confirm they are both correct, please click Contact support. for further help." I am pretty sure I have the correct serial number, it is the same on the router and the box. I purchased from Amazon, in the U.S. Suggestions, advice, secret backdoor to support?
Options
2022-07-14 03:25:12

@Refractory 

Please contact tech support via email with the following details:

1. Screenshot of the bottom sticker of the Archer AX23.

2. Purchase invoice.

3. Valid email address that can be contacted.

Options
2022-07-14 04:17:33

@Kevin_Z 

Thank you for your time...

Sorry, I must have overlooked something on the linked page, and I don't think I did what you wanted...

The linked page had a form that I could not ascertain where to put the picture of the label or the copy of the invoice...the form seemed very specific in its requirements.

I filled the form out, reasonably well, I think, and sent it. If you (or they), need more, I have those two supporting pieces ready to go, already in a draft email, just need an address.

Options
2022-07-14 05:36:24

@Refractory 

Just in case you are not receiving a response from tech support, you may email support.forum@tp-link.com with the screenshots or receipt, they will be able to find it. Please let me know once you send it. Thank you.

Options
2022-07-14 05:57:12 - last edited 2022-07-14 05:57:58

@Kevin_Z   Sent it...and thank you!

Options
2022-08-16 15:07:13

just a quick update, received a warranty "refurbished" replacement for my failed WAN port router 8-15-2022, it apparently still had the previous user's password registered because the P/W on the sticker on the bottom did not work...did a reset, did the intitial set up, all seems good now!

Netspot indicates I am getting a -59, -60 dbm 5ghz signal (at the other end of the house from the router), 2.4ghz is -39, -40 dbm, and through the TP-Link WiFi 6 AX3000 PCIe WiFi Card (Archer TX3000E) I am seeing about 100 mbps from my 400 mbps capable (closer to 370 mbps actual over ethernet cable at the router(even straight off the modem it is not really much better)).

I had hoped for maybe closer to 200mbps...but this is really "not" bad, after all!

Options