AX10000 stops broadcasting the 2.4 GHz

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-07-23 14:28:35
Model: Archer AX10000  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.3.0 Build 20220221 rel.50072(5553)

Our AX10000 (bought 7-15-2022) stops broadcast of the 2.4 GHz signal.  This has been verified using the WiFi Analyzer app and supported by all of my MANY home switches going 'offline'.  I get it back by turning it OFF and then back ON.  I DO NOT use the 'wireless schedule' wireless feature.  I have nothing plugged into the USB port.

I have used Archer C9, A7, TL-WR940N and other TP-Link routers before them without problem,

ANY ideas?

I use this router's WiFi for my cameras, smart home devices, and cell phones.  My computers and TVs are all hardwired.

Thanks!

Options
14 Reply
Re:AX10000 stops broadcasting the 2.4 GHz
2022-07-25 08:19:27

Hello @tidentenn 

If the 2.4G network or connection is not stable, there might be strong wireless interference around you on the 2.4GHz band, you can check that with a Wi-Fi analyzer.

If that's the case, try selecting the least crowded wireless channel and setting it in the AX11000 wireless settings instead of using Auto for Channel to improve your wireless experience.

You can also try to change the wireless security to WPA2-PSK AES, channel width to 20MHz, and mode to 802.11 b/g/n mixed.

BTW, how about the 5G connection, is that stable?

Options
2022-07-25 12:34:02

Thanks for the reply! @Kevin_Z 

The 5Ghz has never dropped out.  Our phones and two (2) cameras hook to that.

I was using WPA2-PSK AES security already.  I changed the width to 20 and changed the mode to 802.11 b/g/n mixed.

It brodcasts on channel 1 based upon nothing else broadcasting there (per the WiFi analyzer app).  I have a wired AP (netgear R7000) with a different SSID hooking up to three (3) of my cameras.  It broadcasts on channel 5.  The Xfinity Home Security(XHS) router is set to AUTO channel select and typically uses 11.  The XHS broadcast channel didn't move when I experienced a loss of the 2.4 signal.

I'm re-booting daily at 1730 hours.

The speed/price ratio is VERY attractive...I don't want to have to look elsewhere.

Thanks

Tim

Options
2022-07-27 00:23:09

@Kevin_Z 

The 2.4 cutout today just after its daily restart.  Verified no other signals on channel 1.

Options
2022-07-27 12:17:42

@tidentenn 

Hi Tim, sorry to hear that the 2.4G dropout happened again.

As per your description, it seems the 2.4G settings on the AX11000 should be good. I would like to escalate the case to our support engineers who will try to help find it out why the issue happens and offer an acceptable solution. Please check your registered email box and discuss this with the engineer, thank you.

Options
2022-07-27 13:18:53

@Kevin_Z 

Thanks.  It happened again during the night.  Turned the 2.4 OFF and ON to get it started again.

Options
2022-08-22 16:42:37

@tidentenn 

You are definitely not alone. Worked with support on and off for months. Was constantly told to provide more information, nothing but excuses. Last time was told to "update" to an older beta firmware you cant actually downgrade to due to the partition changes in the latest firmware from February. 

Numerous stablity issues, missing features, hardcoded incorrect settings, horribley against standard selection of auto channels. Often when devices manage to stay connected they still can't access the internet. 

I had over 20 items i was working on them with and they stopped responding earlier this year when the new firmware released, and that was months ago.

Reboots sadly don't fix much.  Completely unplugging it does more, but not much more.  Sadly logs can't be easily saved through a reboot (unless you can hack the firmware to change log location to a usb drive). Displayed logs in the GUI are well below what it is gathering, and the internal systems fill up the flash drive quickly causing some of the stability issues.

I had both a 1.0 and 1.6 hw version and same issues on both. This is just terrible software, most of which is outdated.  They took an open source router and changed the GUI to one that is missing configuration options and tried to cheap out on the flash size hoping the faster processor would compensate, but really it was a marking choice. Speed is no substitute for good code, and it definitely can't fix bad code.

Options
2022-08-23 07:41:40

Hello @AmethystScarab 

There is a new official firmware for the AX11000 1.0 now, which is 1.3.1 Build 20220721, please update and install it on your device to monitor the performance again.

Options
2022-08-23 10:42:35

@AmethystScarab   Thanks for the reply. I had the AX11000 refurbished from TP-Link ebay 1st and then a NEW AX10000.  Both would lose the 2.4.  I sincerely hope TP-Link works it out.  I returned both and moved on to an ASUS  GT-AX11000.  Best of Luck!

Options
2022-08-23 15:05:39

@Kevin_Z 

I had already installed it this morning before seeing your response.  Time will tell if it helps or not with 2.4GHz wireless stablity or even general internet stablity.

At least (on the GUI) there is an option to turn off QoS now, if it does anything remains to be seen.

The Auto Update feature seems nice, hard to know if it will work, and TP-Link is very very slow between releases.

Still no option to disable IPv6 on the LAN.

IPv6 LAN IP still wraps to the next line on the GUI, appearently the the team still doesn't realize how many characters are in an IPv6 Address (I can put more than 20 inches blank black page on each side of the display but can't get it to fit on a single line in this part of the display without making the window so small there is only a single column). I don't see why a full inch is needed between the description "IPv6 LAN IP: and the entry, if that was reduced it would fit (both shown below)

Still not date or version number for the Antivirus DB (just says up  to date as off, but that never seemed to check very often, or at least the date/time never seemed to update without a reboot).

Guest WiFi still missing the security options of internal WiFi (Security and Encryption have been merged to one pulldown, and options to choose WPA2 or WPA3 only have been added which is nice, but those options and encryption types are still not available on the Guess WiFi).

Default seems to have changed, to allow guests to access local network (I previously had this disabled).

Guest WiFi still uses the same DHCP subnet, and is not identified on Clients list making troubleshooting more difficult.

System acts more like a HUB than even an unmanaged switch, rebroad-casting nearly everything between ports, and fails to identify which port a device is connected to (only stating LAN).

Network names (SSIDs) are still shown for disabled guest wireless, and are still appearing detectable to devices during device boot (should be checked for enabled/disabled sooner in start up, represents a brief security risk).

Wireless passwords are still stored and displayed in plain text throughout the router, with no option to hide them, again security risk. 

Not sure if "Insights" still incorrectly translate URLs to "Nintendo". They still appear that way from previous days but might just be how it was recorded in the log (still insited there should be a way to see the actual URL for those translated, and I can assure you my thermostate isn't talking to Nintendo).

Built-in speed test is more colorful but still badly executed (no real feedback, no latency determined, no options to choose or even see which server was chosen).

If the firmware is for Hardware versions 1.0 and 1.6, why not refer to it as Hardware version 1.x?

Still lacks any type of client or connection logging, just basic logs from start up, most don't even show when wireless is rebooted due to a change.  This combined with them being wiped out on reboot makes them rather useless.

Though after all this if stability has even slightly improved remains to be seen, for that time will tell.

51906ba0b4c54a89ad5abc2d331280a5

399ee70fcb0a48f3a97511cfac36c621

Options
2022-08-24 13:18:22

@AmethystScarab 

It looks like the "Nintendo" issue is definitely NOT resolved.  I can assure you my thermostat is not talking to Nintendo (Which is not even a real URI/URL, but a random unhelpful and very inaccurate translation.

There is also an issue with the date display as "Yesterday". It is current just before 9AM on 8/24.  Yet, an entry for 8/22 at 10:11AM, will continue to appear as "Yesterday" at least until it is over 48 hours old. The simplest way to fix this is to stop trying to translate things into simpler language, as people can read dates. Ignoring that it is inconsistent as the other entries don't say (3 days ago or Last week).  But is is just another example about how a simple if statement can go horribly wrong.  If the developers can't figure out great than date+1day over less than date-2days failing to account for decimals and for some reason not ignoring the hour it occurred into account (ever heard of normalizing data?) apparently not understanding that it can be less than a day (24 hours) and still be the next day (actually out of 1440 possible minutes, only one of them would this calculation be accurate, though I for some reason doubt the person who wrote this code could figure out which one). I realize this is a rather stupid and petty thing to go on about, considering it is just a bad date display in the GUI, but if someone can mess up something so so simple, so extremely badly what else did they do basic bad math for? How many rounding errors, order of operations errors, or general bad syntax errors are in this routers code?  And how many of those would explain the numerous stability problems?  Thankful most of the code in this router is open source (just not from TP-Link, but other projects they don't as publicly acknowledge as they are supposed to) so much of the important stuff was written more thoughtfully, but as TP-Link has prove time and time again they are slow to adapt and upgrade, when bug and security improvements are released for the many bits of code they are borrowing they are slow to implement / update as why change something that isn't working (you know the old adage, if its barely broke don't fix it).  I have posted numerous conversations about people at TP-Link denying known problems, and stating insane requirements that it isn't consider a bug until X amount many people report it, even when verifiable, and even when far more than that many people reported the same thing in support tickets, their own forums, and numerous public reviews. 

Anyways, rant over.  Time for the pictures. 

(On a separate note, in the "Yesterday" picture, it is a fuel monitoring device that reports in once to twice a day, but hasn't connected or reported in since the firmware update yesterday morning before 10AM. It remains to be scene if the device is having trouble even talking with the router since the firmware update, I am giving it some time to recover on its own before I troubleshoot, as the device doesn't have many options other than turning it off and on again and updating the WiFi settings; not to mention isn't easy to access).

b8e697aa836f4ef790589a7ff7b47697c311fa50a3b2420c91bc6d449b62cbd4

Options