Starlink and TP-Link Routers

2022-07-26 21:59:47 - last edited 2023-01-05 22:13:27

Starlink is quickly becoming one of the most popular internet providers due to its new technologies and widespread coverage. Because of these technologies, it is now possible for users to receive a usable and reliable network connection in rural areas where Internet coverage was previously scarce. As the technology continues to improve and more users begin to adopt the technology as an alternative to traditional ISPs, we expect more questions on the forum regarding how to set up the technology and the potential benefits of the technology for specific cases. 

New Starlink Focused Support Articles

Home network setups can quickly become complicated and challenging; adding a satellite ISP into the network can potentially worsen this process. To help users set up a Starlink System with a TP-Link Router, we have created two Knowledge Base Articles to help you along the way.

Connecting a TP-Link Router to Starlink Internet

Starlink Frequently Asked Questions

General Discussion and Questions:

If you already have a Starlink System, whether using a TP-Link Network or not, we would love to hear your experience using the technology and whether or not you would recommend it to other users. Personally, I am interested in the viability of the technology for specific applications such as gaming or streaming High-Quality Videos. I am curious if, or how soon, the technology could become a mainstream option for the average user.

Here's another way to phrase it: When do you think the technology would be reliable and simple enough to recommend to your parents? What about if they were to live in a densely populated area?

What do you think of Starlink?

Do you think there will be any significant changes in ISPs because of the new technology?

Would you consider using the technology for your home network?

Fun Fact: SpaceX Launched Additional Satellites Last Week, Bringing the Total to almost 2,700 - There are about 4,400 Planned in Total

Options
6 Reply
Re:Starlink and TP-Link Routers
2022-08-03 16:44:04

@Riley_S, I'm not able comment on this thread https://community.tp-link.com/us/home/kb/detail/412532.  Trying to Post generates a Server Exception error message with no additional detail. I've tried Posting while logged into community profile in multiple browsers.

Options
2022-08-03 23:59:36

@UP_Dude,

This is something that I just reported to our technical team for them to look into why the Server Exception Error seems to be given, even though the content is still posted in most cases. If you refresh the page, your reply should appear. I will give more information if we hear more on the fix

Options
2022-08-04 15:09:39

@Riley_S I am using SL in a rural area. My only other option is PTP BB capped at 25/5. Since I work remote, and SL is beta, I kept the BB. I am using an ER605 to handle the two services. That said, SL has been good. No long outages, 50  down is the norm. Stream YouTube TV easily. Wi-Fi calling as we have no cell signal (the other reason why I kept both). Price is high but options are few. Supply and demand. 

Options
2022-08-05 13:23:18

@Riley_S I am still wait listed for SL at my home address but I purchased SL RV. SL RV is not as fast or reliable as SL but it is still generally faster 20-30Mb than the fixed radio ISP (20 max) in my area. I work from home and still have both as SL RV drops out a few times a week. I am hoping once SL is available at my home address I will drop my ISP. If you live were fast cable, fiber, or 5G is available go with that but if your only options are slow radio or cell SL is great.

Options
2022-08-05 16:33:12

@Riley_S Mmmm....I'm wondering now if it was because I was attempting to comment/post on a Knowledge Base piece instead of on the original community post you'd made?

Options
2022-09-13 20:59:06

@Riley_S I am using Starlink and a Archer AX55 with one RE650 extender. It works great. I needed to add a static route to the Dishy to access the info in the Starlink app though.

Mike Technology enthusiast. Geek
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2237

Replies: 6

Related Articles