Starlink Frequently Asked Questions

Released On: 2022-07-25 18:25:59Last update time: 2022-07-25 18:25:59

Frequently Asked Questions Regarding TP-Link Router Setup With Starlink ISP

How Do I Configure The TP-Link Router to Connect to the Starlink Network?

You may choose Dynamic IP as the WAN Connection Type on the TP-Link router. Access the TP-Link admin web UI (www.tplinkwifi.net), go to Advanced > Network > Internet page, and choose Dynamic IP.

How Do I Manage the Starlink Terminal When Removing the Starlink Router, or the Starlink Router is in Bypass Mode?

If the Starlink router is under Bypass mode or has been removed, you may need to set up a static route on the TP-Link router; then, you can manage the Starlink terminal in the Starlink APP. Use these settings to establish a static route from the TP-Link Router’s UI.

Network destination: 192.168.100.0

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Gateway: 192.168.100.1

Interface: WAN

How do I set up TP-Link if I want to keep both the Starlink and TP-Link Wi-Fi?

If you only wish to use the TP-Link Router to extend the Wi-Fi coverage of your existing network, you can set up the Starlink Router as the main Router and then place the TP-Link Router into Access Point (AP) Mode.

Please First Identify Which Starlink System You are Using (Gen-1 = Round Dish; Gen-2 = Rectangular)

The Original Gen-1 Starlink User Terminal

For Gen-1 Starlink Terminal Users, you will want to keep the Starlink router as the main Router for the network and connect the TP-Link router’s WAN port to the AUX port of the Starlink Router. At this point, the TP-Link System can be switched to Access Point Mode, which avoids issues such as Double NAT.

The Updated Gen-2 Starlink User Terminal

With updated Gen-2 Starlink products, the network map is the same as before. Connect the TP-Link Router’s WAN port to the ethernet adapter directly. Then make sure that Bypass Mode on the Starlink System is DISABLED, then change the TP-Link Router to Operate in Access Point Mode to avoid Double NAT.

Starlink doesn’t recommend using Starlink in a dual LAN system, so we recommend you change the operation mode to wireless access point mode.

Comment

We are experiencing numerous Starlink internet service interruptions due to weather and a lack of Starlink satellites in the ship's line of sight as more customers use the Starlink systems. Several times an hour,  these service interruptions occur. 

https://fnfgame.co/

Since I already had a Cat5E jack on my roof-top patio,  I just installed my Starlink hardware (WiFi Router and Ethernet Adapter) into a rain-proof box on my patio, and connected my home network to it via ethernet wire.   It has been mostly working fine, but every few days my home TP-Link WiFi Router loses the network connection to the Starlink ethernet port.   To get around this, I just have to walk over to get close enough to the box and use my iPhone app to tell the Starlink WiFi to reboot.   The dish system itself has not gone down.

However, I do not have my TP-Link router in Access Point mode.   I checked for double-NAT and didn't see it happening in my setup, and just assumed that the Starlink ethernet adapter didn't offer NAT service because there was only the single port.   Is it possible that the double-NAT problem could be transient in nature?

My problem was mostly resolved by changing out a 100Mbps ethernet switch in my LAN that Starlink fed into.   I got a 1Gbps switch from the same manufacturer, and haven't had the frequent WiFi router failures.   My system has only gone down once in two weeks, and then it was the whole Starlink system, not just the Router.

upload
    upload