Connecting Starlink Internet to a TP-Link Router

Released On: 2022-07-25 18:26:31Last update time: 2023-02-27 18:31:55

Connecting a TP-Link Router to Starlink Internet

If you need help connecting and configuring your TP-Link Router to work with Starlink, this article may be able to help. This article introduces configuration methods, the applications behind the TP-Link Routers, and what models we recommend to use with Starlink.

Please be aware that Starlink has launched two generations of hardware for home users. The Gen-1 Terminal (Round Dish) and the Gen-2 Terminal (Rectangular Dish). The main difference between the two versions is the removal of the Ethernet Jack. Please Use The Diagram Below to Determine the Version.

With a Gen-2 Terminal, you must purchase an Ethernet Adapter from Starlink to Connect to the TP-Link router.

Setup for Starlink Gen 1 - Ethernet Adapter Included

Setup For Starlink Gen 2 - Ethernet Adapter Purchased Separately

Original Gen-1 Starlink Setup Process

The Original Terminal is a Round Dish with an Ethernet Jack. However, the original Starlink Router that comes with your system does not support Bypass Mode, so you must unplug the Starlink router if you want the TP-Link Router to work as the main Router. Please configure your network as follows:

Step 1:

Unplug The Starlink Router by Disconnecting the Cable Connected to the Power Supply

Step 2:

Plug the Starlink PoE Adapter into the WAN port of the TP-Link Router

Your Setup Should Be Similar to That of the Image Below:

Gen-2 Starlink Setup Process

Unlike the Original Starlink Terminal, the Dish is Rectangular, and no PoE adapter is included. With a Gen-2 Terminal, you must purchase an Ethernet Adapter from Starlink to Connect to the TP-Link router.

After Connecting the Starlink Terminal to the Starlink Router:

Step 1:

Connect the TP-Link Router’s WAN Port to the Starlink Ethernet Adapter

Step 2:

If you would like the TP-Link Router to be the main Router for the network, you can enable “Bypass Mode on the Starlink Gen-2 Via the Starlink Application.

Step 3:

Please connect the TP-Link router’s WAN port to the Ethernet adapter, as the picture shows below.

When enabling Bypass Mode, All Wireless Features will be disabled on the Starlink Terminal. A factory reset is required if you want to switch back to router mode.

Comment

Ok, so starlink is active. Have older Linksys ea7500 that let starlink setup wifi but then that lan computers stopped working. I am sure it is double Nat and ip n wifi butting heads. Could not get into Linksys to try n see. So I bought ax1800. 

Question is do I just plug into wan or do I need enable bypass first. 

I must have the lan computers to work.

Confused about best way to setup ax, n which would be better wifi. Will lan computers work in access point mode. I am assuming the ax should provide better extended wifi than starlink gen2 but you will have to tell me. Need some help and advice and sequence to this setup before I do it. Thanks ahead of time

Fon

I believe that not enabling the bypass mode on the Starlink Router is what was causing your Double NAT.

Under both setup methods, your LAN devices should connect as expected.

For the Starlink router to remain as the main router, you will have to setup the AX1800 in AP Mode,

If you would like the AX1800 to be the main router, you will have to place the Starlink Router into Bypass Mode, which essentially turns the router/modem combo into only a modem.

To benefit from the features and wifi of the AX1800, I would recommend placing the Starlink router into bypass mode.

Hello, 

I have a TP-Link OnHub TRG1900 that I'm looking to maybe replace my Starlink (first gen) router with. Just want to see if it has better coverage.

When i plug in the OnHub, it only flashes amber and the light above the white connection on the Starlink power supply doesn't turn on. I'm using known working cables, the OnHub does work (I've tested with a double NAT), and it's set to DHCP on the WAN port...thoughts? 

upload
    upload