Deco M5 slow wifi speed on the second unit

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-08-10 13:32:04
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

Hello

I just upgraded my network from E4 to M5 because i have new ISP with 500 mbps internet. After the setup M5 system on the main deco the speed is as I expect. But when i test on the second unit the maximum speed that can reach with all other devices disconnected is 105 mbps. This is 1/3 of the speed lost somewhere. The distance from the first and second deco is 5-6m.

In addition i added also one of the E4 units to the network - the situation is the same 80mbps. The distance is around 6m.

Is it possible to assist me with that, because my television is through Internet and i need better wifi speed on the secondary units?

Options
4 Reply
Re:Deco M5 slow wifi speed on the second unit
2022-08-11 03:34:23

@TheNilko 

Hi, Please make sure the device is connected to the 5ghz.

Is the signal source of both satellite M5 and E4, the main M5?

Did you also check the Ethernet speed from the satellite M5 as well, also capped at 105m/s?

In case it is a bad placement if you stand at the location place and connect to the main M5(please temporarily unplug satellite M5/E4 first), how much speed you will get on the mobile phone?

By the way, all the Mesh units are on the same floor but in different rooms, right?

Thank you very much.

Wait for your reply.

Best regards.

Options
2022-08-11 07:16:48

@David-TP 

"Is the signal source of both satellite M5 and E4, the main M5?" - yes i set it that manually. and the source is the main deco.

"Did you also check the Ethernet speed from the satellite M5 as well, also capped at 105m/s?" - yes i checked with Ethernet connection and the speed is the same - 60 - 100 mbps. The speed of 105 is reached when all other devices are disconnected from the network. So this is the maximum speed that comes to the satellite M5.

"In case it is a bad placement if you stand at the location place and connect to the main M5(please temporarily unplug satellite M5/E4 first), how much speed you will get on the mobile phone?" - i just tested that. Turned off the satellite units. I stayed in the room of M5 unit and the speed is around 5mbps, also i stand in front of the door with open door to not have blockers and the speed is the same - 5mbps. But in the room of the main deco is around 400mpbs. (connected to the main deco)

"By the way, all the Mesh units are on the same floor but in different rooms, right?" - yes same floor, different rooms. The apartment is small around 60 sq.m.

The both rooms are separated with a hallway not more than 4m.

Options
2022-08-15 05:59:55

Hello again,

Is there is something to do here?

Options
2022-08-17 03:06:32 - last edited 2022-08-17 03:06:54

@TheNilko 

Hi, Thanks for the update.

I see you mentioned that "Turned off the satellite units. I stayed in the room of M5 unit and the speed is around 5mbps, also i stand in front of the door with open door to not have blockers and the speed is the same - 5mbps. But in the room of the main deco is around 400mpbs. (connected to the main deco)"

It seemed like the signal from the main Deco has been reduced a lot. Compared with the smartphone, satellite M5/E4 is able to get a much higher speed, and did you test on one more mobile device from the main M5?

Would there be any chance that you could wire the satellite M5 via Ethernet cable to the main M5?

If not, could it be possible for you to send an email to support.forum@tp-link.com with the following information:

1. A drawing/diagram of your apartment layout and please also mark out where the Deco is located.

2. Please take some pictures about how you place the Deco.--Usually it is suggested to be sited on a table/desk about 1-1.5m high.

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 443

Replies: 4

Related Articles