Deco X20 Firmware Update?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-08-11 14:13:57
Model: Deco X20  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.5.1 Build 20210204 Rel. 50738

I know there was a thread in the forums on this already, but I can't seem to find it. 

When can we expect an update for the X20 line? The main issue I'm having with the X20 is the inability to select specific Deco nodes per client. I read that tp-link had released an update for a different modely this year to allow this function, but this is by far the biggest failure for the X20 so far personally. 

For my scenario, we have two offices on the second floor of our home where we have our PC's connected via wifi and have a Deco node installed in one of the offices. For whatever brilliant reason, both of our PCs will select the Deco in the basement (furthest with concrete walls, etc in between) which then leads to our devices to lack in bandwidth - specifically, unable to video conference. I've done a lot of self testing and troubleshooting, and whenever I can get these PCs connected to the 2nd floor Deco, we have no issues whatsoever, but then it'll connect to the basement within minutes.

Can we get any type of update on this please? 

Options
3 Reply
Re:Deco X20 Firmware Update?
2022-08-11 18:39:50

@aypukingina 

I would love to give you an update but unfortunately, support doesn't have one at this time.  Often we are not given updates until they are released.  I can say that typically we do push updates every Friday.  OTA updates are released before the website updates but Website updates are typically by EOB every Friday unless there is PTO or a company holiday.  if that is the case then there may be a delay until the next business day.   

Options
2022-09-16 22:43:07 - last edited 2022-09-17 05:53:07

@Carl 

Even though I'm not in the hardware business but the software business, I've been meaning to say for a while now that these responses (many similar ones over the last months and even more) simply make no sense.

It's not that we don't believe you that they're true, as in, that you're not given this information. We believe you.  It just doesn't make sense that as the customer facing representative of the company you're not given this information.  More importantly - it needs to change!

Ultimately, this info (at least an estimate) exists somewhere.  Not only somewhere - but specifically somewhere within the confines of the company you work for.  If for some reason they choose not to relay this info to the forum support team - they're preventing you from doing your job properly, and are (hopefully inadvertently) reducing the quality of service TP-link customers are getting - well below what's customary in the industry and what customers are entitled to expect.

Please relay to your managers, and ask them to relay that to their managers, and so on and so forth - that not having any sort of ETA is simply unacceptable.  That there's a growing number of unsatisfied customers waiting to hear on this issue - that aren't willing to accept "just wait and hope for the best" as an answer.  At some point, someone high enough in the org will either know the answer, or know who to relay the question to to get an answer.

The fact that it took years from the first M5 beta and until a final GA - combined with the fact there hasn't even been a single X20 beta firmware yet - doesn't instill a lot of confidence either, to say the least.  For all we know, it may be 2024 before we get a production quality X20 updated firmware - which in itself would be unacceptable.

I'm sure I'm speaking on behalf of many people here in the forums and even more people that aren't here in the forums - X20 owners as well as many other Deco models that haven't been updated in ages:

We want an update regarding what ETA we can expect, and we also want that ETA fo be sensible - and not years away.  And unless you can point us to another avenue on how we can obtain this data - please find the way to obtain this information for us  - it does exist in the company you work for, and we're counting on you.

Thanks,

Zeev

Options
2023-01-14 17:33:04

@zeevs I've been asking for updates for my decently new X50-4G and the older M9 Plus but as usual they are avoiding.

Imagine investing so much into the ecosystem and brand that don't bother to update its hardware that have been purchased. Bugs remained unfixed for months or more than a year. Features are only updated for newly launched models (which will then be chucked aside with very little to zero updates).

Options