Advice on setting up mesh system

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-08-26 02:39:05

I'm about to purchase a 2-box Tp-Link Deco mesh system but am unclear about the setup. I have a modem/router box currently in one end of my house, and a Cat 5 cable pulled to the other end of the house. My first question is this. Can backhaul Ethernet be used on both the mesh box near my modem/router and also at the other end of the house where I have the Cat 5 connection?

Options
3 Reply
Re:Advice on setting up mesh system
2022-08-26 17:20:34

Hi  @ErnieS,

I am a little confused by your question, but I will try to explain it nonetheless.

If I am correct, you are just asking if an Ethernet backhaul can link the two nodes together. The answer to that is yes, as the main node will end up with two Ethernet ports being used: one for the connection to the internet and one to connect to the satellite deco node. The satellite will only have one cable required if using an ethernet backhaul

The backhauls for mesh systems can be simple or complicated depending on your needs. For example, it is possible to place an Ethernet Switch between the deco nodes, to provide ethernet ports for additional Deco nodes or for devices.

Options
2022-08-27 14:04:32

@Riley_S , thank you for the reply. So, I think you are saying the two mesh units would be essentially daisy-chained together. The Ethernet connection from the modem/router I currently have that receives my ISP cable signal would be connected via a Cat 5 cable to the nearby mesh unit #1. Then I would run a Cat 5 cable from the 2nd Ethernet port on mesh unit #1 to the location of mesh unit #2. Is that correct?

I would then go into the settings for my modem/router and turn off the radio to minimize conflicts with the mesh boxes, right? Thanks.

Options
2022-08-29 23:39:45
That should work fine, but a small switch might be more useful. If you are talking about turning off Wifi on your cable modem, yes that would help, but isn’t absolutely necessary, it should still work.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 403

Replies: 3

Related Articles